Have any technicians had experience with new Estonia grands

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Have any technicians had experience with new Estonia grands

Post by Tenor1 »

Have any techs had experience with the new Estonia Grands? post 1992 ie build quality and general quality of the instruments
Last edited by Tenor1 on 08 Sep 2011, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Have any technicians had experience with new Estona gran

Post by sussexpianos »

Bol-Bechstein in Holland has them in his showroom, very nice pianos with high quality parts. The main problem is the name is not that well reconnized so the re-sale will be difficult. The US has a bigger Estonia presence.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Have any technicians had experience with new Estonia gra

Post by joe »

Tenor1 wrote:Have any techs had experience with the new Estonia Grands? post 1992 ie build quality and general quality of the instruments
Do not play alone.
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

joe wrote:
Tenor1 wrote:Have any techs had experience with the new Estonia Grands? post 1992 ie build quality and general quality of the instruments
Do not play alone.
Thanks Joe but could you enlighten me re your comment
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

A waste of money ?,there are better grand pianos out there for the same money and a little more.
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

joe wrote:A waste of money ?,there are better grand pianos out there for the same money and a little more.
Thanks Joe.
If you had 25k plus to spend what pianos would you consider?
Last edited by Tenor1 on 11 Sep 2011, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Used Steinway grand in good condition,if you got 25k and more,should not be a problem,stay away from old instruments which have had plank and soundboard replacements and have been reconded in China and Eastern Europe.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

On the other hand, there are many old pianos beautifully rebuilt, with new boards and planks in the UK by the leveretts.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

The ex-Bluthner boys do a 1st class job,but the price difference between their rcond 100 year old grand piano and a decent quality new grand is in my opinion not worth the money,unless you are looking for a furniture period instrument,or if they are able to create the unique Bluthner tone of that time,which is impossible to guarantee.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I would say that every piano from Leverret's has the unique tone. The old Bluthners are beautiful when rebuilt, and of course, they will last, because the plank, soundboard, action and keyboard in most cases is completely new.

However, they're not all round pianos, they're not suited to all repertoire in the way that Yamaha, Kawai and Bostons are (pianos in a similar price range hence I quote them), although they will provide you with something rather unique and special in a way that the Japanese pianos wont. If it's for all round teaching and practice, I'd have to think seriously before buying one. If it's because you want something magical but not necessarily for every day use, go for it, you won't be disappointed.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

and the was originally about Estonias.... yeah OK I'd have one.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

joseph wrote:and the was originally about Estonias.... yeah OK I'd have one.
Generally overpriced for what they are.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I wasn't saying I'd pay for it hehe....

Actually if spending a large amount on a piano, and 24k is a large amount, you want something that should you HAVE to sell, you'll a decent price for it in the future. I think an Estonia, as lovely as it is, might depreciate something rotten.

I guess it's best to stick to the well known brands in that respect, everyone wants Yamaha, Kawai, Boston and of course Steinway (if you can get a decent Steinway at that price).

Estonias are very nice pianos indeed, but they're perhaps not quite well known enough to hold their own on the open market. You might not need to consider that side of things though.
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

Joseph.

Where do you get the 24K from ? Which model ?

BTW, I had a 168, which was a very nice instrument. I would have bought another [190] if I had not found my Bluthner. Even then the choice was decided by the toss of a coin.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Sorry, earlier on the O.P. had asked 'if you had 25k plus what would you buy' or something.

Also, referring to a larger model, either a 6'3 or 7'4.

I don't know how much Estonias cost.
schubert
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by schubert »

[quoteI don't know how much Estonias cost.][/quote]

Typical MRSPs for Estonia Pianos in Belgium (VAT 21% included) are as follows:

* model 190 (Ebony Black): € 29.400,- (+/_ 25k£)

* model 168 (Ebony Black): € 24.400,- (+/- 21k£)

schubert
Last edited by schubert on 04 Oct 2011, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

Those figures don't make sense ???
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

He has probably mixed the figures up, the 190 will be more expensive. Anyway, Estonia pianos have gone up in price in the last decade, I remember when I was looking to buy a piano the 168 was about 12k, or something, that was about 5 to 7 years ago. I wanted something bigger although I was impressed with it.
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

Prices seem to be whatever the dealer thinks he can achieve. I was offered a new, current production 168 in black for under £14k last year.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

You would need to be a MAD person to pay anything like that ?.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Id go for a Kawai RX-5 or RX-6. It would be better in the long term.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Kawais are superb grand pianos,also Yamaha,Boston,or a good genuine German made grand made in the modern era with not too much use,dont get this Estonia tread seen them at various trade shows over the years and they are awful,also know a retailer who was punting them a few years ago cause he was making a killing profit wise,the downside most of the clients where never off the phone moaning about all sorts of problems and a good few where returned to factory,think most common problem was tuning stability as they suffered from horrendous slippage due to poor bridge design etc.
schubert
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by schubert »

He has probably mixed the figures up
Yes I had; corrected them in my post.

schubert
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

I've been in contact with an acquaintance in the US he is a professional pianist and his father worked at the steinway factory for 40 years piano building. He has just bought a new Estonia 7'4" and is so vey pleased with the piano both in build quality and sound. His father too is also very impressed and he is hard to impress - of the old school!

He agrees that post 1990 Estonia pianos have had teething troubles but since 2007 they have got there act together and are now producing wonderful 'concert' and 'Domestic'' instruments. They will always have there critics who will not be convinced even though the quality is staring them in the face, he says, but thats life.

I'm in no rush there is still plenty of research to be done, although as there is no UK agent I would be reluctant to buy no matter how good they are.
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

There was a piece about Estonia pianos on BBC radio the other day and, if I were in your shoes, I think I'd rather like one. The last thing that would worry me would be the presence of UK agents. As Barrie Heaton said in another thread their aim is to sell you a piano. We had a discussion about seller responsibility in this forum recently, hence this post; I'd talk to Dr Laul, find a first class technician, and make arrangements with them. What could be better?
Silverwood Pianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Silverwood Pianos »

I have come across several Estonia products in Vancouver, Canada. For myself,I would not purchase an Estonia previous to Dr. Laul’s involvement; there is much improvement noted compared to the earlier products I have looked at here.