Keys clicking on new Korg SP170

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

danlondon

Keys clicking on new Korg SP170

Post by danlondon »

I just bought a new Korg SP 170 as the best electric piano I could find that weighed around 12kg.

I just started playing it and have found that when I hit the notes hard, particularly the black notes, particularly those in the lower half of the keyboard, the keys make a clicking sound.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this and whether I should assume:

a) this is just what happens with a cheapish keyboard
b) this is a beedding-in issue and will disappear once the thing has been played in properly
c) the keyboard is faulty and I should get it replaced

Thanks in advance
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Keys clicking on new Korg SP170

Post by markymark »

I'm not a fan of Korg due to its piano sound but I have not tried this model and so can't speak from experience.

If the keyboard weighs 12kg, as you say, then you're going to find that the keyboard won't absorb the impact as well as a heavier keyboard - I've always found that. It's one of the reasons that I am selling my Yamaha CP-33.

As for the clicking noise, it could be related to what I said about a lighter unit.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Cut your finger nails ;)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
artur

Post by artur »

I have had Korg SP-170 for more than half year now and when I first got it I noticed the same thing. Now, over time and play the clicking sound has disappeared. So don't worry, you have a great piano there!

Korg, when it comes to era such as M1 and such digital pianos, had a miserable piano sound, but these days Korg produces really beautiful piano sound. I also compared Yamaha P-95 and Korg and I liked the action better on Korg and the piano sound was pretty much teh same on both ones.