Billy Joel & Elton John....

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

PianoManSteve

Billy Joel & Elton John....

Post by PianoManSteve »

Hey Guys!

I'm kind of new to this forum, but I've been playing piano now for about 27 years, and professionally for about 22 of them. I am for the most part a rock/pop/country player, although I did have several years of more formal training (I learned the theory which was good, but paid little attention to the repertoire ;-) ). But I can still vividly remember what inspired me to get serious about playing and what led to me going down the path I have and that is Billy Joel & Elton John. Those two guys, especially Billy, completely rocked my world and I've spent the better part of 25 years trying to become them....with my own style of course!

So the reason I share this is that I wonder what the defining inspiration for the other folks on this board was. If you love to play, either as a hobby or for your livelihood, please share what got you into the game. I'm curious, and I think that is always a good place to start when making new friends!
Gill the Piano

Re: Billy Joel & Elton John....

Post by Gill the Piano »

Started playing at 4 after having pestered my parents for a piano from 3. Asked for lessons the day after the piano teacher next door moved to Cambridge.
Timing... :mrgreen:
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
didgeridoo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by didgeridoo »

Well, people occasionally saying that I have fingers of a musician had some impact on me, and I probably start seeing myself as one :D They didn't say exactly - fingers of what musician, though, so I started with electroguitar before switching to keyboards few years later...

To be honest, I don't even remember what made me change my direction (probably lack of especial success with guitar), but after I thought about it I realized that it's something I can be good at. At that moment I was already typing like, up to 500 symbols per minute, so I thought it can help me with this type of instrument!

Talking about classical music, I can certainly say that it always helps me to learn new things. When I wasn't listening to it much, I had small progress. I remember there was an online radio with solo piano music, and I always enjoyed it. However, they were transmitting works of modern and relatively unknown composers, which were, I can say that now, pretty basic - after plunging to the world of classical music I can't enjoy it to the full anymore. But it introduced me to the world of piano, and if it wasn't for it, I wouldn't start listening to Liszt or Chopin. Well, you know how it works :)
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Thanks for posting Steve, it's nice to hear from you :)

I was made to learn piano as a child by my Mum.
I spent many hours pleading to quit but she stood firm and made me keep practising and going to my lessons. When I got to age 15 I was suddenly quite pleased with the skill that I had on the piano and was glad that Mum made me learn. I passed my Grade 7 but didn't quite feel the need to get my grade 8. Maybe one day I'll return to a strict practise schedule and get my grade 8 but for now, I'm happy with my current level.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I'll bet your were a whiney kid too, Mark! :wink:

"Moom! I don't kaya if the piano has a good crisp bess or not, but I don't woont ta pleh!"
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

haha,
Or how about...

"momma is this piano Japanese or Indonesian? I won't play until you find out!"
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Wow! Catherine Tate should do a sketch like that for the really posh family cariacatures she has on her program!

"Sorry children! This is not our day! The Mercedes has broken down and we have to drive a rental Audi! Aaaaahhh! But there's worse to come. Mama's new pieno is not Japanese at all - it's Indonesian! Run, children! Run for your lives! Get away from the rental Audi and the Indonesian pieno!"

I can just picture it now, Mark! :lol:
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

:lol:

Actually, I learnt on.... A DANEMANN!!!!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Ooohhhhh.... get you! :P
PianoManSteve

Post by PianoManSteve »

Wow,

Thanks to all of you for your stories. I'm an appreciator of all kinds of music, but my heart is still in rock, pop, & country....and that's what I'm actually good at playing so I stick with it. But I have a great amount of admiration for jazz & classical players as well....every style has its own craft to perfect. Thank God for mothers who make their kids take piano lessons....I know I wouldn't be able to find middle C if my mom hadn't made me go! :-) Thanks for participating in my thread....I'll think of some new and interesting questions to ask you later!