Upgrade FROM CLAVINOVA CLP 123

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

pianopaul
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Upgrade FROM CLAVINOVA CLP 123

Post by pianopaul »

I have a 15 year old Clavinova clp 123, that is in good working order. However I wish to upgrade it to get better polyphony and better hammer action. I have been looking at the DGX 630 AND 640. Is the piano sound and touch better on these portable grands than my existing clavinova? or do I have to look at newer clavinovas to better my existing instrument?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Upgrade FROM CLAVINOVA CLP 123

Post by markymark »

The CLP-123 had a touch sensitive keyboard action with three levels of reverb as far as I can tell and only has 32 note polyphony. Almost any keyboard nowadays will have at least 64 note polyphony and if I am right about the keyboard action on a CLP-123, then almost any weighted action keyboard will be an improvement.

How much do you want to spend? What do you need your instrument for?
pianopaul
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by pianopaul »

I haven't got a fixed budget, but am looking to get a good piano sound and piano like keyboard action without spending money unneccesarily on a fancy cabinet.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

For a good piano sound I would suggest either Roland or (and in particular) Yamaha.

The benefit with the furniture digitals is that they often have a good built in speaker system and provide a sturdy frame for heavier playing however you can achieve this with a variety of other stands suited for portable keyboards.

In Roland, you may want to look into a FP-7 or one of their HP digital ranges (unfortunately I have very little contact with the Roland furniture pianos because I favour the Yamaha piano sound). In Yamaha, consider looking into the P-155, P-95 for portable instruments, the Arius range or even the CLP range from Clavinova - the latter is much more expensive than the others but I would recommend you hunt these ranges down to try them for yourself. You may well appreciate the sturdiness of a furniture grand over the portable models.
Cat

Post by Cat »

I'm also considering upgrading from my semi-weighted stage piano to the Yamaha DGX 640. It has all the features I want - and a fair few more - and most importantly, graded hammer-action keys.

Tbh, that's what I've felt the lack of in my current keyboard, the keys. I first learnt on an acoustic then had to give up due to moving about too much (and having to leave the piano behind). Now that I'm learning again, I enjoy the flexibility of a digital - also the space factor in my current flat and the fact that I can practice at any time of the day with headphones. But I do miss the keys from my old acoustic, so I'm going to take the plunge and upgrade relatively soonish.

I've done a lot of research and for my budget and the features I want, the DGX 640 seems to be the best deal.

Also, yamaha seemed to have nailed a decent piano sound a bit more than their competetors unless you want to get really expensive so, unless my further researches come up with something better for my budget, it's a foregone conclusion that this summer will see a Yamaha DGX 640 take up residence.

As they say, watch this space....