Metronomes

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Metronomes

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

They are an essential learning aid. Recommended for maintaining a steady speed whilst practising your scales, arpeggios etc.
Playing through your pieces with a metronome also shows you the bits where you are speeding up and slowing down without realising it.

Definitely useful.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Some metronomes also come with a chime (like I have). You pull a lever out, and it says 6 4 3 2 on it. So for music in 3 time, pull it three times. The met. then ticks at the required speed, and also chimes every 3rd beat - hopefully at the start of each bar.

Its personal taste, but I recommend 'Wittner' - a good German make, but there is also Tacktell. Metronomes start at around £20 (electronic ones).

On the pendulum itself, is a sliding weight.... this varies from around 40 beats - 208 beats per minute. You then check the music/ scales to see the recommended tempo.
However, best used during slow practise (when you've more or less learnt the tune) - but not generally used when finally adding expression to music.... but for scales & arpeggios, like Mark said, a metronome is essential.

Be warned though.... they are not really useful for an early learner or absolute beginner - and they can be very distracting.... bit like a "back seat driver"
They are useful at their best when just tweaking the right tempo for the music - but then when you add expression.... switch it off!

Tick tock!!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I have one called a 'Cherub' which has a clock on it and 'beeps' time, but also 'shouts' ONE TWO THREE FOUR in a Chinese/American voice which is so bl**dy annoying I cannot help but take notice of it!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It's a metronome but when you aren't using it as a metronome it tells you the time. If you see what i mean. And you can have clicks, beeps or the bl**dy annoying woman shouting at you to play to!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It's because it's so annoying that it works so well; when I do exam accompanying, it makes the kids keep time far better than just a click, for some reason.