Digital pianos vs Keyboards?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Alexandra

Digital pianos vs Keyboards?

Post by Alexandra »

Hello there:

My name is Alexandra, and I started to learn how to play the piano this summer. I am teaching myself how to :piano; . Unfortunately, I moved from where I lived before where I had a piano, and now I don't have on what to play and continue my studies. Buying a piano is impossible for me right now. Even if I had the money, I don't have where to keep it. One classmate of mine told me that if I am not learning on a piano I should better quit because a keyboard or a digital piano won't help me much. He said that a digital piano might be better, but a keyboard is useless. Another problem is that I don't think I can afford a digital piano either, a keyboard maybe with a little effort. I am planning to get a second hand one anyway, but my question is:

Is it that bad to learn on a keyboard? :?

I am 21 now so I'm not going to be a concert pianist anyway. :lol:

Should I wait more time until I am able to buy a digital piano?

Thank you!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Digital pianos vs Keyboards?

Post by markymark »

The term "keyboard" reflects the lack of someone's knowledge within the area of digital pianos and similar instruments. The term "keyboard" as an instrument generally stirs up pictures in my mind of those cheap flat instruments with the light, thin, organ-like keys.

You have other options, Alexandra. The type of instrument you describe is a furniture digital piano which basically sits in the corner of a room and is used as a stationary instrument, much like an acoustic. Clavinova from Yamaha or Roland's HP series are just two of those types of instruments. There are such things as portable digital pianos, often called stage pianos which can (not always) have the same features, keyboard action, etc of the furniture digitals only with portability in mind. You would typically have to buy something like a X-stand to set the stage piano on. Yamaha's P-series would be a good example of these. As well as portability in mind, these instruments are typically cheaper than the furniture models.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll keep that in mind. :piano;
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

My take on this is that a really cheap keyboard will be fine if you are just taking your first steps into learning music. The keyboard will help you figure out what notes are where and you'll probably have a lot of fun for not much money. However, don't stay on the keyboard too long or your fingers will get used to that horrible springy feel.

I would say that for less £100 you can get a 5 or 10 year old stage piano (such as a Clavinova as MarkyMark says) that will be perfectly functional and will take your learning to the next level.

No need to spend hundreds in your situation.
Keep your eye on ebay

This one sold for £80
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-CLAVINOVA- ... 500wt_1077

This one went for £40 and would be fine for a beginner
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-YP-40-clav ... 500wt_1077

There are other cheaper brands that will make it easier to find a cheaper one.
If possible cut out the keyboard option altogether and go straight for a Clavinova
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Yeah I am thinking the same, since I already know the notes on the piano. Thank you for your input.
honkytonk
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by honkytonk »

Hi Alexandra, did you make a decision in the end, did you find something suitable?

H.