Noisy key return on Casio Celviano

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

joddle

Noisy key return on Casio Celviano

Post by joddle »

I have had my Casio Piano for 4 years but during the warrenty period some of the keys started to ratle and clunck as they retunred after being depressed. This was fixed at the time by a Casio engineer but now the warrenty is over and another key is starting to do the same. The key works OK but there is an annoying clunk as it returns which is driving me mad.

When the engineer came to do the repair he only took about 45 minutes to do the job most of which seemed to be the taking apart of the keyboard - the replacement of the pads took only seconds and the rest of the time was spent re-assembling.

I thought I might have a go as looking at the faulty key myself. Taking the case apart was easy but I could not see in what order I needed to remove things to expose the key mechanisms and so gave up before I did something too drastic.

Now another key is starting to get noisy and so I really want to get this sorted and so am asking if anyone knows of a document which shows how to address this problem or does has anyone done this type of repair for themselves before and if so how did they do it.

Any advice much appreciated as I live now in Spain and getting someone to come out to look at the machine is going to cost a fortune.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Noisy key return on Casio Celviano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You have two problems getting the parts and the cost. Keyboard makers charge the GP an arm and a leg for parts it may be cheaper to buy new

Is there no service centre within a 50 miles of you but if its anything like were I live. its £75.00 just to look at the thing - then the cost of fixing it + parts

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joddle

Post by joddle »

But there must be a service manual or something which says how to take the thing apart. I am told that the problem is the felt pads on the bottom of the keys copming off which is apparently not an uncomon problem and simply require being reglued back - the only thing is how to take ther thing apart without destroying it. Anyone know of where a service manual can be obtained? - I already have a user manual but it gives no indication at all. I cant believe I am gong to have to spend another £500 to replace it.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

User manuals will not tell you how to take the instrument apart or how to do internal DIY jobs. :(

In fact, in their user manuals, manufacturers will usually discourage you from doing so. I wouldn't like to say this for every single keyboard in circulation today, but service manual for owners do not exist. Services and repairs are intended to be done by qualified personnel who are familiar with the model/s. This is why Barrie has mentioned the issue of cost.
joddle

Post by joddle »

In that case I need to know where I can take the thing to to get it sorted - I intend bringing the keyboad box back to the UK in the summer with the hope of getting this attended to whilst I am there - but which company could do it - any sugestions? I would liketo get an approcximate estimate before I commit myself - its pretty bad anyway that a piano which has only had very light use should fail twice in this way but casio dont seem to care a jot they just want a heafty sum to even look at it. To be sure I won't be buying another one of that make!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Most local musical instrument retailers should be able to point you in the right direction. Failing that, check online for "keyboard repairs + Casio" and see what comes up.

This website lists a variety of companies in England which deal with keyboard repairs. I have no personal experience with any of them so I can't really recommend any of them:

http://www.musicalinstrumentsales.co.uk/kbshops.html
joddle

Post by joddle »

Many thanks for the above post - the list has been a great asset and through it I have located a company who can undertake the repair and at what would seem to be a very reasonable cost.