When did you start learning?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

When did you start learning to play the piano?

Under 4
3%
4-11
43%
11-16
6%
17-25
15%
26-39
14%
40-59
13%
over 60
4%

Total votes: 97

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

When did you start learning?

Post by markymark »

The starting age for learning piano has come up quite a lot recently.
Every member who posts on this forum and at least the vast majority of people in the wider community will agree that it is never too late to start learning to play the piano. As with everything else, you get out what you put in! You are the only person that can hinder you! :D

For those of us who have been learning already, I thought it might be interesting for others to post when they actually started learning to piano. Just select the age bracket that relates to when you started learning.

marky :D
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: When did you start learning?

Post by Moonlight »

Nice topic marky :) haven't bumped into you on here for a while!

For me I wanted to learn the piano when I was 17 but was busy with college so didn't have such a structured pratice routine. I was also playing on a very old early 80s? electric piano ( my dads ) the ones with the fans in them! can't remember the make though. Then I got a Casio keyboard because the old one died. I started to 'teach' myself the notes and basic music theory, and went through a piano course book.Then I went to university for 3 years and completely forgot about wanting to learn the piano until about this time last year. So I'm an adult learner of 23 thats hopefully going to do grade 2 in November! :) and I have a digital piano, but would love to have a real one!
kebabselector
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by kebabselector »

I started about a month of so ago (aged 38), still not done much at the moment. I'm waiting until my new DP arrives before I start real lessons (currently using Apple Garageband for my lessons).
Hello World
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I have been playing piano for 16 years. I started when I was 12 and did my Grade 1 when I was 13. By 21, I had gotten up as far as Grade VIII but stopped short of diploma due to time restrictions with the dissertation from my degree and then, the PGCE that followed soon after. Between getting established in a job, my study and development has kind of pateaued.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Hmmm, the more experienced you are, the easier it is to bring yourself up to speed but you can certainly get lazy and sloppy if you are not careful. When you are starting off, you are very much getting to grips with your various playing skills and it is much easier to slip back and have to work hard to pick up the pace again... but that would be after several weeks of not playing at all. Sure you haven't stopped that long have you?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Well at least you are keeping you musical ear going because that is something that develops as you expose yourself to more types and amounts of music. Two months is a lot of time to be away from it though. I'm more familiar with Trinity Guildhall and they just recently introduced their new set of pieces for the new syllabus. The last chance to sit the old exam is this June. After that, only new pieces will be accepted. How much time do you have to complete the pieces you have been practising? How will this affect the amount of time you have to prepare for an exam?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote: It'll probably look like at the very least 2 months Mark :( :(

:( Don't you have your keyboard still? when you move in and are decorating etc at the end of the day you could play on that? at least you would keep your fingers trained, kind of?! :? or you could set up you Clav in a room thats not being decorated at that time. But I don't know how heavy it is, mine one is very heavy.

I'm sure you will be able to do the AB test in Novbember - with me! you're doing grade one? so you should be fine, I bet if you walked into the exam right now you could do it!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote:Surely you don't mean the rubber one Anna?
No I mean a keyboard. Didn't you say you started learning on a Casio keyboard first? You could play on that at least if you still have it...
I still have my rubber piano! was only £2!
harry farmer

Post by harry farmer »

hi ive just joined today . i treated myself to a nice baby grand when i retired from work in 2006.i was then 60 years old.
i found a good teacher and quickly got uo to grade 5 [asb]when i slowed down a bit as my teacher decided which pieces i should play.
ive sinc left him and about to start with another teacher, who is going to build up a repertoire of classical and modern with me [wish me luck.
harry farmer
ETP's Mum
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ETP's Mum »

Hi

I'm quite new myself, but welcome! What a brilliant gift to yourself and good luck with your new teacher.

Istarted playing at 5 years old and passed Trinity Grade 4 at 10. I failed Grade 5 at 11 (!!) and then stopped playing for 30 years! I have this year started playing again and am learning ABRSM Grade 5 pieces alongside my 9 year old son! (he is much better than I am!)

I used to have to practice in an unheated "front room" with my coat on in the winter. It was bleak! At least I now have central heating! :)
xnapoleonx

Post by xnapoleonx »

I started out on my 2Othst birthday, which is about 5 months ago. Doing it on my own atm, but i'm thinking of lessons when I've got a bit more time & money
Piano resources for beginners by a beginner.
http://tutorialpiano.blogspot.com/
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

I started learning piano when I was 23. I've always been involved with music - I've played clarinet since I was 9 years old, took grades etc and did A-Level music. I always wanted to play piano, but there just wasn't the time on top of all my studies. AfterI finished University and started working, I realised that I now had the time and the money to take up my dream instrument! I do love my clarinet of course, but its quite boring to play clarinet on my own. But piano is great to play on your own as you accompany yourself with your other hand!
SerenWade

Post by SerenWade »

Started learning when I was 7 years old and used to really look forward to my lessons!

Have been playing ever since. Recently have started teaching a neighbour's child and getting requests to teach other children (beginners) as well, informally.
EarlMarsden
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by EarlMarsden »

I started learning piano when I was 15 yrs. old I guess. My father sent me to a private music studio to develop my music skills. Perhaps, it is really my passion in music that drives me to learn other instruments like violin, trumpet and guitar. Now, I am able to share my knowledge and skills in music by having my own music studio.
Music Teacher's Helper - the easiest way to manage your private music studio.
debtye

Post by debtye »

I am 53 and had lessons for a few months before moving to live in France. Now things have settled down a bit I would like to try and get up to Grade 1 ABRSM. As my French is not good enough to get a teacher I am thinking about trying to cope myself (with book and cd) for the time being.

If anyone can recommend either software or a good book to help me, I would be very grateful.

Deb
bluedianthus
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by bluedianthus »

Since I was 9 i guess, not formally but my uncle bought me a keyboard for my birthday. Since then, I'm just playing the piano with my right hand, then when i was 12 with my both hands...but i know the sound was not in tune. I never learn piano tabs, i juz play by ear...now i'm already 26, but i think i had lots of improvement. I already know few piano chords. And i even know how to play my favorite songs, that's the joyful moment, when i can play and sing in a row....

As for Debtye, i recommend you to subscribe to pianoforall website since you can learn the piano from the very first start. As for myself, I' very interested in learning the gospel hyms since i'm playing in church. I was motivated to know that you still have the spirit to learn piano in your age...Well done...
icecream

Post by icecream »

I started at 7, I also think that 6 or 7 is the right time to start piano lesssons for most people. But someone I know started at 18 and worked very hard. After a few years he was a pretty good player. It takes a lot of patience to learn an instrument and one has to really love it.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I started at 6 when my mum bought me of all things a bontempi organ. It had a book of songs with it, but after a couple of weeks I started to improvise on it, and played alot by ear. I was upgraded to a full size keyboard and played on friend's pianos, improvising in various styles for hours on end. It drove my teacher mad that I could improvise because I was less interested in playing my set pieces. Anyway I kept on doing both, got up to grade 8 and went to music college. Despite being grade 8 standard when I was 13 or 14, I didn't actually sit the exam til much later. I know I was that standard because I was playing large scale works, we just weren't that bothered with going through the grades, although I did from 4 to 8 ABRSM.

I still improvise lots, I start all my practice sessions with improvising to warm up. It's great fun and it makes pieces much easier to learn for some reason.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Oh my goodness! You had a bontempi organ too? That was my first instrument too! It had the most awful sound but mine had about three octaves that gave plenty of room for fiddling around - I remember having loads of fun with it. I can still see the red case and the red and white chord buttons.... sigh :|
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

It was great fun back then, the sound of that electric bellow.... I was thrilled by it.

Perhaps we should all get a bontempi from ebay and have a challenge to see who can make it sound like a musical instrument. That could be hilarious!
chrisg
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrisg »

Started learning at 7 years of age which means I've been playing for almost 28 years. My word, time does fly.
wac

Post by wac »

When I was about 7 or 8 my babbysitter taught me to play basic songs by sticking numbers on the piano 1-8 and then giving me sheet of number, for examples 5 8 5 3 1 6 5 3 5 2, which played how much is that doggy in the window! I later made it into a game http://www.wacdesign.com/pianoherojunior
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

I started in March 2010 at the age of ahem, 31 :shock:

Sitting grade 1 on Thursday :piano;
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well done you! Let us know how you get on, won't you?
good luck!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

Gill the Piano wrote:Well done you! Let us know how you get on, won't you?
good luck!

Thank you, I will let you know how it goes :D
Blodwen
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Blodwen »

I started learning with my dad when I was about 10 I think, never really bothered much when I was younger though! I bought myself a digital piano for Christmas last year and started learning with my teacher around Feb! I'm doing Grade 2 on Friday morning!yay!!
Blodwen
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Blodwen »

Hi Pianolove! Thanks for the good luck wishes, I shall give it my best on Friday!!

My digital is a Casio Celviano, my dad went to the local piano shop and said it was a good beginner piano and managed to get it £100 cheaper online- including a stool! Happy Days! It's ok, the keys are quite noisy though when Im playing through the headphones! I wish I had a proper piano though, unfortunately, lack of space and living in a modern house with just plasterboard between me and next door meant I had to opt for the digital, I love my piano though!
mozart453
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mozart453 »

I started piano lessons when I was 6, but had a year of Music Appreciation in a group setting when I was 5. It was in a quaint town house in the Bronx, NY.

Shirley K
http://arioso7.wordpress.com
samasap
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by samasap »

I started learning Keyboard when I was just four, had keyboard lessons until I was 10 then went on to play piano and take all my exams.
It's something I enjoyed from a young age and still love and have passion for at 25 years of age!

I believe you are never to young or to old to learn piano if it's something you want to do. :)
intune

Post by intune »

great topic :) i started when i was 8 on an old baby grand piano that i cannot remember the make of it. Then i purchased a yamaha U3 which im still using now and i will be upgrading again next year as i am going to turn my spare large lounge into a piano/music room and i will fly to tallinn to purchase a concert estonia grand piano model 274.I can't wait!! :D :D :D :D :piano;
intune

Post by intune »

Thank you ! :) yes it will be my first grand piano :) I played an estonia once in america and they had two on show but one was bright and the action was light and the other one was more mellow and had a noticeable different action.I got and email from the factory and they will refund the price of the flight tickets off they price of the concert (£ 31k)
I cant wait! :piano;
Kaira

Post by Kaira »

If you want to learn to play an instrument like piano What you do need before you start however is some sensitivity for pitch and rhythm so that you can identify the intervals between notes and the speed at which you should play.
free piano lessons
Sharma
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Sharma »

I started taking piano lessons when I was 14 although I grew up with a musical background and had played some percussion and a tiny bit of basic piano before that. I started on jazz and then took up classical lessons a year later. My lessons where a bit patchy over the years but I spent quit allot of time playing in bands. Now I'm no technical virtuoso but I can play jazz, classical and other popular genres. I've been teaching for a few years now which has been a really interesting experience. I think my playing has improved radically since I started teaching. I still gig and go to jams. I also do allot of composition and piano is a great medium for that.
Keynote Sounds - Piano Lessons North London
now free video lessons and advice at the Keynote Sounds Blog
Tony Lee

Post by Tony Lee »

I started playing piano when my older brother introduced me to the movie Big theme song "heart and soul" when i was 5 :)
I am from L.A and I like music.

Tony Lee
ipod touch docking station Store
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Did you play it with your feet...? :D
PaddyD
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PaddyD »

I started playing at 17, then my only keyboard died + college so stopped. I'm now 20 at University and have just ordered a P95 keyboard, got my piano teacher sorted. My target is to hit grade 2 by December this year, and be able to play Christmas songs for my family.

So technically, I start playing in 5 days when my keyboard arrives :D
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well done...keep practising hard and you'll be fine! Lots of adult beginners here and they seem to work twice as hard as the kids do, with great results.Keep us posted as to your progress.
PaddyD
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PaddyD »

Gill the Piano wrote:Well done...keep practising hard and you'll be fine! Lots of adult beginners here and they seem to work twice as hard as the kids do, with great results.Keep us posted as to your progress.
Thanks! I'm pretty good with hitting my own targets. The way I've structured my week is as follows:
Half hour piano lesson on Monday, 45 mins daily practice, half hour on thursday.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Blimey...tat's far more than I get done! :D
BevJ

Post by BevJ »

Hi
I started learning at the age of 35 but because of time restrictions didn't practice very often. Now I have plenty of time to practise and have re started lessons within the last couple of years. I am currently doing grade 5 but because I am so nervous won't commit to an exam which I would dearly love to do. Any adult learners out there feel the same and if so, does anyone have any tips in overcoming it?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'm sure if you use the 'search' facility - or good ol' fashioned scrolling back! - You'll find quite a few postings on nerves and overcoming them. I recommend Bach Rescue Remedy, and reading 'The Inner Game of Music' by (I think) Barry Green(e). Or start a new thread on it either here or in the Piano lounge. Welcome aboard! :)
BevJ

Post by BevJ »

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I find Rescue Remedy doesn't work for me but thanks for the book tip - I'll certainly have a look at it. I have read lots on overcoming nerves but I think I just have to get on and do it otherwise I'll be dithering for ever.
seins345

Post by seins345 »

Hi from mexico there :)

I started with music since i was like 4, took like one or 1 and a half years of lessons in kinder and highschool in total of my life, im currently 18 and have 3 months since i moved to a digital piano instead of my old casio keyboard so basically im self tought, im not the greatest pianist but i think im pretty decent tought.

Its funny how when i was a child i used to aprecciate more my keyboard piano sounds than a vertical piano my grandmother has and now i needed to save money cause i couldnt stand anymore the lack of well ummm everything in my old casio
Joani

Post by Joani »

I'm so COMMON - 52% of people started learning when they were the same age as me!!
I was 7 and my teacher was scary but I loved it.
dorsetpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dorsetpiano »

Started teaching myself at 16 whilst doing A levels then stopped at 18. Restarted two years ago at 61. Now aged 63 and retired and have bought a baby grand and practice 2 hours a day. Using it as a retirement project to help keep dementia away (at least I think that's what I started doing it for.........)
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Wow! Better late than never!
OurRedPiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by OurRedPiano »

For the two people who started under the age of four?
You guys are truly lucky.

http://www.indiegogo.com/RedPiano
OurRedPiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by OurRedPiano »

By the way, I've started learning the piano at the age of 17.

http://www.indiegogo.com/RedPiano
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well done; more power to your elbow!
priss

Post by priss »

Hi, I am new'ish here :)

I had lessons when I was 9-11, then piano sold, lessons stopped due to financial situation. I am now 37, bought a P95 and started to play a little bit again! I don't plan to have lessons as I am saving them for my 6 years old daughter who I am trying to teach at the moment! (Only very basic!). She can't read music yet (apart from middle C and whole, half, quarter, quarter rest notes), she can play some songs with 10 fingers and 2 hands with chords on the left hand. I wish I was able to continue but never mind, hopefully my daughter is interested to learn and will do much better than me!

Any adult beginners here too?