I need help (with electric pianos)

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

synthred

I need help (with electric pianos)

Post by synthred »

Hi all
I'm looking for a basic, compact, durable electric piano that has just a few (2 or 3) really nice piano sounds and no bells and whistles. I need it for regular gig work in pubs and clubs. It's got to take a pounding, have weighted keys, be reasonably lightweight. I just want to turn it on and all I get is a couple of terrific quality piano sounds - that's all. Most that I've viewed so far involve paying alot of extra money for "extras" that I don't really need.
Please help...it seems that there are no great sounding electric pianos for just a few hundred quid. Or am I wrong?
Thanks very much :D
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: I need help (with electric pianos)

Post by joseph »

You probably want to spend 1000. If you are gigging regularly it will pay for itself. A Yamaha P series is probably what you need. Good keys and will take a pounding. Something heavier is the CP300. You probably wont get a better stage piano. Think of it this way, if you buy cheap, you'll need to keep replacing it.

Someone I know bought a Roland FP-8 when it was released in 1990 or whatever. He only replaced it last year. It was expensive, but 18 years use from a regular gigging instrument can't be bad,
synthred

Post by synthred »

Hello Joseph
Huge thanks for this. I'll give them a look. To your knowledge, is there a very basic electric piano with just a couple (or even one very very good piano sound)...and that's it!!! Lightweight and ideal for gigs. I'd imagine it would be worth a few hundred £££s. It appears that every model has lots of extras as well as great piano sounds. I have synths that provide these extra sounds, but I lack a durable, electric piano with weighted keys.
Do you find it surprising that there's nothing like this on the market? Or maybe there is, but it's a struggle to find it.
Thanks again
:D
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

The one range that seems to crop up in forums time and again is the Casio Privia range. They are OK but as far as I know they are not as strong as Yamaha or Roland stage pianos. They are very light and have a sound and touch which I would recognise as a piano, although I wouldn't say they were earth shattering. They don't have a reputation for durability although their price provides you with a decent keyboard for not too much.

I've had a look on the web and found a PX320 which has 128 note polyphony, graded hammer keyboard and a stereo sampled piano sound for under £600.

There is also one called a CPD-100 which is about 350, but it only has 32 note polyphony. However, for many years people thought 32 note was amazing polyphony and few people had a problem.

The Yamaha CP33 has 64 note polyphony and a fabulous piano sound and it weighs in at about 900 quid.

The P.155 is about £900 online and has 128 note polyphony, 4 level dynamic stereo sampling and a Graded Hammer Action keyboard.

Just remember, when money is tight should you buy the least expensive keyboard, or should you wait and buy higher quality? You don't want to have to keep replacing it. I am repeating myself I know..... anyway, whatever you buy , good luck.
synthred

Post by synthred »

Hi Joseph
I'm very grateful for your help with this. It is helping me out no end and educating me. I'm going to take your advice and go for a £900 model - I don't want to have to replace later. I'll let you know which model I go for. :D
Cheers for now
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

A more expensive model will give you more longevity as an instrument. Manufacturers make most of their improvements in their mid-range instruments by taking some of the more sophisticated features offered previously to only the 'better models'. Digital instruments do devalue quickly and buyings something too basic will mean that you'll either get bored with the quality (because this is also an issue with cheaper models) or with the features or sounds quality.