Does anyone have a SP2XS?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

dtsato

Does anyone have a SP2XS?

Post by dtsato »

I'm thinking about getting a SP2XS but was wondering if anyone else has it and have anything good/bad to say about it.

Thanks!
Danilo
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Does anyone have a SP2XS?

Post by markymark »

I used to have a SP3X is that's any use.

What do you want to know? Besides the orchestral ROM on the SP3X (other than that, it's basicalyl a SP2X) and built-in speakers on the SP2XS, there is no real difference.
dtsato

Post by dtsato »

I'm not really a digital piano owner. This would be my first. I used to have a stand piano back in my home country, but couldn't bring it with me when I moved to the UK :-)
I've heard good things about Kurzweil piano sounds and wanted to know how close it resembles the feel of a real piano (in terms of touch and playing). Most of the keyboards I've seen were really far off a real piano hammer key, and I haven't played a Kurzweil yet, so thought it would be nice to ask

Thanks!
Danilo
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Based on my experience with Kurzweil keyboards, at the moment, the best piano sounds they have are included on the K2600 and PC3 models which are very expensive because they are synthesisors and workstations, having lots of editting capability and loads of other great sounds. The SP range have a fairly good sample but no where near as good as the other models. However, even in the PC and K series, others have complained about the piano samples having a very fast note decay from around C4 onwards. This is extremely noticeable in the SP range which is fine for fast moving pieces but sadly, limited and false for slower and sustained passages. The mid and lower regions are okay, but I find the Kurzweil piano sound on the SP range is a little trebly or too brightly toned which affects the realsm of the tone. There are no equaliser options on the SP range either so what they give you is what you have to work with - no including the various reverb and layer settings which have little effect on what I mentioned about the piano tone and sustain in higher pitches.

The piano action is a "balanced weighted hammer action" which is much lighter than a Yamaha or Roland. Notice, it isn't a "progressive" or "graded" hammer action like on a piano. If this is very important to you, you will be disappointed by the hammer action on the SP2XS.
dtsato

Post by dtsato »

This is great! Thanks for the answers..

Danilo