"Twiddly bits"

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

"Twiddly bits"

Post by quinie »

Hi there,

I've been playing for years but have only had a limited number of lessons 25 years ago and have not got much knowledge re theory.

If I get some sheet music and practice and practice I can usually manage to learn to play reasonably complicated pieces - one of them being Beethoven's Pathetique.

I am currently learning to play Chopin's Nocture in E Flat - however, when I listen to it being played on youtube etc there are loads of twiddly bits in it.

When I read my music I can see squiggly lines inbetween the notes that are supposed to have these "trills" or whatever they are called ( :oops: ).

However I haven't got a clue what notes I am actually supposed to play!

Can somebody (who is more clever than me!) enlighten me!?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: "Twiddly bits"

Post by Moonlight »

Hi what one are you talking about? Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 55 No. 2 ( Lento ) OR Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2 ( Andante ) :?:

Unfortunately I can’t help at the moment as I’m only a beginner myself however if you are talking about the little zigzagy symbol above a note it’s called a mordent, if you are talking about a symbol that looks a bit like a number 8 on its side it’s called a turn. Sadly I don’t really know enough to play these ornaments, however if you wait a bit the other more experienced guys on here can help you! :)

or you could try to surch for them on the web?...
quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by quinie »

It's the Op 0 no. 2 one!

I think it's the one called a "turn"

Thanks for your reply!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Yes it is a turn.

You play note above the one with the turn symbol above it followed by, the note itself, the note below the one indicated, and the note itself again.

In the key of C major, if the not was above a high C, you would play:

D', C', B, C'

The bit highlighted in red is the turn part.