Piano teaching books for beginners to grade 1

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

simplesimon
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Piano teaching books for beginners to grade 1

Post by simplesimon »

What books do teachers use for beginners to get towards grade 1?
I've been using Piano Time 1 & 2 and Me and my piano books 1 & 2, and then think that I ought to find some other books. I've tried Classics to Modern, ABRSM Grade 1 studies and a few others. It does depend on age and interests of my pupils but I thought I'd ask for a general view on the books used by other teachers.
When you practice slowly, you learn fast.
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Piano teaching books for beginners to grade 1

Post by Descombes »

I agree that the Me and My Piano series (including Me and My Piano Repertoire) is quite useful. I've gone off Piano Time; I find the books disjointed and not very attractively laid out. I sometimes dip into the Alfred or Bastien series, but they are both slightly predictable. One of the most useful single volumes I have used is The Joy of First Year Piano, which includes some fairly substantial pieces in a very logical progression. I also like The European Piano Method by Emonts (Pub: Schott).
simplesimon
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by simplesimon »

I don't think I've come across "The Joy of First Year Piano" or the "The European Piano Method". Are these suitable for a particular age group?
When you practice slowly, you learn fast.
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

Joy of First Year Piano is good for any age. (I just leave out the first few pieces for older pupils.) It's published by Music Sales/Yorktown Press.

The European Method is very useful. Details are here:

http://www.di-arezzo.co.uk/detail_notic ... SCHOM06896

It's colourful and attractive, though probably not ideal for the very youngest pupils. There's a great variety of material from throughout Europe. Some good duets included too.
simon_H

Post by simon_H »

I too got terribly frustrated with the Piano Time series. I've also used Bastien and John Thompson (more for the little ones!) but had trouble finding anything for 10+ or adults. I recently started using The Complete Piano Course, which is proving very useful for the new students at school and adults I teach privately. It moves at a steady pace and is clearly set out so easy to read. http://www.thecompletepianocourse.co.uk

Regards,
Simon
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I use Me and My Piano books 1 & 2 for the young beginner - about aged 6 - 8, then move onto "First Year Piano Lessons" by Harewood & Waterman (publishers Faber) - and that takes them right up to Grade 1 standard. If a pupil starts at the age of 7-8, depending if they "take" to the piano, I may put them straight onto Book 1.

I think the best thing also is not to rely too heavily on books all the time. During the lessons, and after a certain standard has been reached, I also transcribe & arrange my own tunes for kids on ScoreWriter and/or Sibelius 5 - especially Xmas carols. Approaching Grade 1 standard, not only do they do the classical stuff like Minuets by Bach/ Mozart - but an easy arrangement of Lady GaGa's Bad Romance, and adults love it too!! It stll teaches them good counting skills and also helps them to learn the minor mode aswell.

Give it a try!!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen