Piano removal

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Rooty Toot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Piano removal

Post by Rooty Toot »

Hi,

Having just purchased a beautiful second hand piano, I now have the dilemma of how to move it. Having received some ridiculous quotes from the professionals, and having access to three burly blokes and a van, I am considering moving the piano myself.

Any advice on how to go about it, ie what will be needed, would be much appreciated. What is best to use to protect the piano (as it is gloss black), and how it should be strapped down.

Any info would be great. Either that or anyone who can recommend someone in the Swindon or Kidderminster areas (where the piano is going from and to - 140 mile round trip) who can move the piano after 3.30pm in the week, or at the weekend for less than the £500 I was quoted, I may reconsider this option. I was also quoted £200, but this would be on a part load basis, but they wouldn't be able to give me times or dates until 24 hours before, and as the lady I have purchased the piano from is a teacher, it's not exactly convenient to find out they are coming at 10am the following day!!

Thanks

p.s soooo excited about getting a piano!! :D
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Piano removal

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Since this piano is in someone else house what if you damage the walls, doorways, rip the carpet or spoil the wooden floor or worse drop the piano. Are you happy to pay which could be more than £500.00 to put right and what if you hurt yourself or one of your helpers! Common accidents with amateurs besides slipped disc, is crushed or broken fingers in doorways.

I would look at the part load again but with a confirmed pick up

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

I have recent experience of
http://www.pianologistics.co.uk/
and I really cannot speak highly enough of them. I don't suppose they were cheap (I did not pay them direct, so I'm not sure), but a piano needs the best treatment possible.
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

"Common accidents with ammeters"

Electric shock, perhaps?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Model V wrote:"Common accidents with ammeters"

Electric shock, perhaps?
What was the spell checker thinking

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

A lot depends on whether there are stairs to negotiate, whether it is necessary to tip the piano on end to get through doorways etc. You almost certainly need a piano trolley, and your wagon needs a tail lift (You'd risk serious injury lifting it into a normal van). Leave it to someone experienced.

Ask your local tuner / tech. They will know who moves pianos in the area.

There's nobody near me as far as I am aware who specifically moves pianos, but guy I use mainly moves industrial and laboratory equipment, much of which is very delicate and worth tens of thousands of pounds, if not more. He is great at moving pianos and antiques as he takes great care over it, and often transports them along with his normal cargo which keeps the costs down. He's moved medical equipment within a hospital, lifted a huge church bell into place etc. I remember him telling me about having to move a pianola up two flghts of very narrow stairs! Such a person will know how to strap it down for transit and how to protect it.

£200 sounds pretty good. No doubt the seller has some friend or neighbour who could be there when the piano is collected.