choosing pianos for arpeggios with sustain

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

trikolad

choosing pianos for arpeggios with sustain

Post by trikolad »

I began playing piano seriously the last 3 month and became really good in arppegio playing . I played on many pianos. I play without removing my foot from the sustain. when I play in low volume it usually sounds ok on most pianos but in normal volume it sounds really good only on
casio privia px 310 (which is only 32 poly!!!!!!- how does it sound so rich??)
after that the next best one was yamaha p140

i also played on casio cdp100
which didn't give me enough sustain

I though that if the px310 was that good the px320 which is 128 poly must be better
wrong!
it sounds too much mid range.you can adjust it to be brighter so the high notes become better
but when I play arpeggio in the low range it sounds like noise
unlike the px310 in which I heer every note

if the px310 was 128 I would buy it.

I have to admit that I have similar problem on acoustic pianos
I don't think that my playing is the problem because there are some pianos which it sounds really good .
now the px120 and the px720 and px 320 have exactly the same piano sound
I can't buy any of them
and p140 is too expemcive

if you guys have good experience with arpeggios + sustain on the bass notes with some digital piano let me know

thanks
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: choosing pianos for arpeggios with sustain

Post by markymark »

trikolad wrote:now the px120 and the px720 and px 320 have exactly the same piano sound
I can't buy any of them
What do you mean? No local retailer or too expensive?

If I understand what you mean by playing arpeggios, playing down on the bottom registers generally doesn't work and has that awful banging sound - the bass notes on the piano weren't really designed for that playing style.

Digital pianos (or acoustics for that matter) with a trebly tone as opposed to bassy will let you away with that to an extent, but then the mid-range suffers also and can sound harsh.

What you are mistaking for "richness" is probably more likely to be the mellow tone of the piano sample. I never really would describe Casios as rich sounding to be honest but rather, have a much more mellow tone. The smooth sound almost provides a layer or chorus with it that evens out and "covers up" the introduction of new notes. The P140 can sound trebly and sharp if not equalised properly but then again, that suits your playing style if you rely on arpeggiated left hand accompaniments.