Casio Privia PX-410

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

adam1980

Casio Privia PX-410

Post by adam1980 »

Hi,

I'd like to know your opinion... I've decided I need a digital piano as I am seriously lacking on space... I want the children to learn but I'm not interested in spend 1000s - at least not until they're filling concert halls!!

Does anyone have an opinion about this:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/322704/c ... 297-50-25-

Is the Casio a good budget choice? The price looks good, but are there any alternatives I should look at? What about buying used digital pianos?? Is this wise?

Thanks,

Adam.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Casio Privia PX-410

Post by markymark »

adam1980 wrote: Is the Casio a good budget choice? The price looks good, but are there any alternatives I should look at? What about buying used digital pianos?? Is this wise?
Erm... depending on the model, they can be alright.

I have never played a PX410 so can't give you any advice on this one - maybe someone else has played one.

Your obviously planning to a budget, what is your maximum?

Secondhand digital pianos are alright provided that you don't go too far back. Digital pianos, generally speaking, made a breakthrough soundwise and in their keyboard design. Hammer action and dynamic sampling are all phrases to look out for. Some examples could be the CLP220, 230 which should be under £1000 secondhand. YDP151, DGX models, P60, P70, P120, P140 (all Yamaha models).

Brand new, consider P85 which is under £400 brand new.
terrysa

Post by terrysa »

Hi
I tried a casio px 720 (new model) in a shop and thought the sound was great, but I'm not an expert and it looks good. Price was £599.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

You may want to ask the dealer about keyboard noise of which many of the entry and mid-range keyboards from Casio have been guilty after a period of use like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-WTm1e4Tww

I still think, soundwise, that the P-85 has a better tonality than the piano sample used on the Casio. The piano sample seems to peak and decay to early for my liking. Have you tried any Yamaha's yet?