Teaching a Blind Child to play the piano

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Rutlander
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Teaching a Blind Child to play the piano

Post by Rutlander »

Our daugher is 6 years old and we are all excited that she learns to play the piano. Millie was born prematurely and suffered with ROP - meaning she had no sight from her very early days. Her hearing is fantastic and she has been described a pitch perfect (!?!). We've bought her (and her bigger brothers) a beautiful piano and are keen to get her started. We are planning piano lessons but would welcome advice on the best approach to teaching Millie the piano given the challenge of blindness. We would welcome your support and advice.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Teaching a Blind Child to play the piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

How far has she got with her Braille has she started Grade 2 The RNIB music department do a good Braille music primer for sited teachers. You will get good advice from VIMA and there may be a VI member near you who you can chat to

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Rutlander
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Rutlander »

Hi Barrie, and many thanks for the quick response.
Yes Millie is currently doing Grade 2 at school and is doing really well. Makes you really proud listening to her read!
I've pulled some info off of the RNIB website and will delve a little deeper. I couldn't find anything about the Braille music primer though. Where do I need to look for this?
Thanks for the VIMA link. I've sent them an email to find out more about where their members are located, etc.
Dean
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Nice to see she is doing well with her Grade 2 make sure she learns the quarty keyboard the correct way as well
You may have to ring the RINB as they have discontinued some things the other point of contact is the Music department at RNCB Hereford if it is still there and New College Worcester

The National Library for the Blind has a good Children's books 2 way readers that is Braille on top of the sited words and a big music Library

National Library for the Blind
Far Cromwell Road
Stockport
SK6 2SG
Cheshire
England

Regards

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page