Connecting my Yamaha YDP-131 to a PC via Mistar Midilink

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Are you turning the digital piano on after or before the computer has been turned on. Sometimes having the keyboard on first and connected will get a better response from your computer.

I have had similar problems in the past but that was owing to my computer hardware. Has you computer been upgraded recently?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I was going to suggest software for your MIDI cable! Make sure that you have the most up-to-date version of Musicsoft.

Something else that I've done in the past is muddle up the connections. Have you made sure that your IN jack is going into the OUT socket on the keyboard and that the OUT jack is going into the IN socket?

I can't really understand any other reason that would explain a connectivity issue with the computer.
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Does the software have an option to select which MIDI devices it will use? I've never used that one, but I did use Cakewalk a few years ago to connect to a PSR keyboard.

For example, on my PC, I could select output to the software MIDI generator, the MIDI in my soundcard or the MIDI port. For inputs I had a couple of choices too. I got the PC to play through the keyboard first, to confirm my cables were the right way round, then tackled the input to the PC from the keyboard.

I also used the MIDI leads which terminated on a game port DIN connector which plugged into my soundcard rather than USB, so you will need to identify in your list of ports & sound devices the correct name for your cable's "device".

Some other settings which I had to consider: my keyboard had an option to enable/disable the MIDI in/out, and also I had to select an option to do with timing (I can't remember what it was now), but it definitely prevented the keyboard receiving MIDI from the PC.

To eliminate problems which might be due to the software, you might want to try simply playing a MIDI sound on the PC (a .MID file) with Windows media player, and trying to get the YDP131 to play it. This eliminates settings inthe Yamaha software and verifies the hardware works.

To configure the PC (assuming you have Windows XP), go to Control Panel / Sound & Audio Devices / select the Audio tab, then look at MIDI Output Devices. If your cable is being recognised, it will be listed there. If it's not, time to call the aforementioned electronics retailer!
scarbies

Post by scarbies »

Hi

Did you solve this issue?

I have the YDP S30 (same range, very similar specs) and also cant get the thing to send MIDI events.

I have another keyboard which uses the same cable and setup so its definitely not my PC...

Please let me know...

Cheers
John
scarbies

Post by scarbies »

Maybe we need to use the Yamaha UX16 USB-MIDI device?

It mentions this device in the manual repeatedly...

But what I dont get is that MIDI is a standard and should work without a PC even...
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Hi Dave,

I was talking to someone who's really into sound and he told me to try out a few things which I am going to get to this week, provided nothing else crops up. He is encouraging me to use the USB port as opposed to the midi out and in for recording.

Will let you know how I get on!
woodie

Post by woodie »

I will hopefully soon be the owner of either a YDP131 or YDP140 and will be connecting it up. Having some 22 years IT exp. may yet count for nothing but if I get this sorted I will let you know! :?

For the time being perhaps you could run a lead from the phones output to your pc soundcard. You can use the line in socket (blue) BUT START WITH YOUR KEYBOARD VOLUME ON MIN. If you are already trying this but getting a distorted output it is likely that the recording levels are set too high, though soundcard abilities are always very limited. You really need a preamp or better still USB recording input device to get anything approaching good quality.

There are several routes to the level settings dependant on your machine and card software but control panel>sound and audio device properties>volume tab>advanced button should get you there. You may then have to select properties from the options menu and add the relevant level control to the recording section as these are not always shown in the volume controls by default. Click OK to bring up the recording controls and check the relevant select tick box.

Yamaha seem confused about all this themselves. The 140 manual gives the UX16 USB-midi link as an option yet the US site specifically says that it IS NOT compatible with the 140, bizarre. Can someone enlighten me on this point?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I've a funny feeling that the CP300 manual holds the UX16 USB cable link in high esteem also. Maybe it was a generic reference in all recent manuals?
benwillcox

Post by benwillcox »

dave brum wrote: I'd actually like to hear from a YDP 131 or similar owner whose MIDI leads actually DO work!!
Hi Dave,
I recently bought a YDP-140, and when looking at MIDI/USB converters I bought the cheapest thing I could find from eBay for around £7.
I wasn't too sure whether it would work, as I'm using Linux and sometimes it can be trial and error depending on whether drivers are available, but I was pleased to find it was just as easy as plugging it in and it worked straight away.

I am using Rosegarden as my MIDI sequencer, installed in UbuntuStudio..

I would suggest trying a different sequencer instead of the Yamaha thing in case that is the problem,

Thanks,
Ben
chadyk

Re: Connecting my Yamaha YDP-131 to a PC via Mistar Midilink

Post by chadyk »

hi everyone

i think i solve this issue at least with my yamaha YDP-131
just make sure to connect the output midi in the input midi in the piano and the input midi in the output one. this works with me.
i hope it will will u.