Good enough to learn on?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

chopsticks

Good enough to learn on?

Post by chopsticks »

Sorry: please ignore my question: I found the answer in another post about a different keyboard... thanks anyway.

I apologise in advance that my first post is to ask for help and betray my total ignorance...

My daughter's music teacher has told me that the time has come and we must buy her a piano: she knows that I'm on a tight budget and has suggested that rather than buy a cheap/old/worn out accoustic I buy a digital for now and that as long as the keys are weighted properly it will be OK for the next couple of years until it's time to upgrade (when tonality becomes more of an issue).

Looking at the more inexpensive models, I have considered the YDP 131. It says that it has weighted keys and hammer action: for this price (less than 400 GBP) should I expect that the weighting/action is close enough to an accoustic that it will be a good practice piano for my daughter, or should I be looking at paying more for a realistic feel?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Keep an eye out for a bargain!

The replacement model, the YDP140 is on its way that is if it isn't out in the stores yet, as this will probably devalue the RRP for the YDP131, not that I'm sure there are too many lying in storerooms....
chopsticks

Post by chopsticks »

Thanks for replying.
I did indeed get a bargain. Most places have sold out, or are still holding the cherry but not the rosewood, but I shopped around and price matched today and got them to throw in a basic stool too for £399. Fortunately the cheapest internet supplier today is also local to me, so I don't even need to pay for postage.
Most sites seem to be stocking the new YPD140 from £629 (more in high street shops), so I think I did a good deal, all told.
Of course I'll have to go though all this angst again in a year or two when she's ready to move up: better start saving . :D .
Thanks again
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

That's a very respectable deal!

Well done!