Yamaha YDP-151 vs what else?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Johan

Yamaha YDP-151 vs what else?

Post by Johan »

Hi everyone

I'm in the process of buying a first digital piano. I started where everyone starts by looking at Clavinovas and found the CLP-220 to be the only one within my budget (£700) although this wouldn't leave much for a stool etc.

Then I came across the YDP-151, which I gather is essentially the same instrument as the CLP-220, just in a different case. I can get a YDP-151 for under £500 as opposed to just under £700 for the CLP-220.

So for £500 I get a Clavinova in all but name, but am I missing anything in this price range? The Yamaha P-140 seems to be a similar instrument in stage piano form with small speakers. I've also come across the Roland FP-4, which seems tempting with all its extra sounds and other features (just under £700), but I don't know what it feels and sounds like. Would it be as good a piano as the YDP-151?

So, in short, can anyone give me a reason not to plump for the YDP-151, given my budget?

Many thanks!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

As I've often said to other people considering a digital piano, there really is (so far) only one brand to aim for if realistic hammer action and piano sound are two priorities and that is Yamaha.

You've asked an interesting question! One of the annoying things about digital pianos, as you start comparing pianos within product ranges, is the amount of overlaps at top and bottom ends of ranges within the same brand. In your case, you are comparing a top of the range model in an entry/beginner's product range (YDP-151) with the poorer relation of a higher spec family of instruments, i.e. the CLP-220. You will always get overlaps in situations like these unfortunately. I've often asked "Why?" in these situations myself but Yamaha always seems to have had overlaps in their instruments for as long as I have been using their products.

The CLP-220 falls below the standard of it's big brothers and I have never personally given it too much recognition in comparison to the others. In fact, I think, if I'm not mistaken, the CLP-230 has a better quality piano sample. I noticed that Yamaha aren't pushing the YDP-151 as much as before, despite claims that it is supposed to be an improved version of the YDP-131 but I know that the release of the YDP-160 is imminent which will likely push the boundaries even further in terms of product quality and technology so that could be why. As for the Roland, if you like the YDP-151, you may be disappointed by the Roland FP-4. By all means, try the instrument and see what you think - touch and sound is a personal decision despite whatever I say. My opinion and yours may differ on the whole sound and touch issue as some people prefer a heavier key response and some a lighter one.... the list goes on!

I have asked someone to enquire more into the similarities between these Yamaha models just to be sure so more info to follow!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Forgot to mention the P-140!

You can read some of the most recent posts about those. People on the forum who have tried these do tend to be impressed. You are comparing it with the YDP-151 so here goes...

Specs are quite similar except you do have speakers that, although being the same size, have a lower wattage on the P-140! The P-140 does however have 14 voices and also allows you to split the keyboard into instrument zones (probably only two at the most though). It also has a bigger sequencer for playback and recording songs.

Still, unless portability is an issue, and if you are content with playing the keyboard like a piano, I think the YDP-151 will be fine for what you need. The little extras on the P-140 only really dabble with features more refined on more expensive models anyway.
Johan

Post by Johan »

Thanks for that.
I have now seen the specs for the new YDP-140 and YDP-160. They seem to be updated versions of the YDP-131 and YDP-151 respectively.

The most important difference between the 131/140 and 151/160 is that the former has the 'GHS' keyboard while the latter has the (apparently better) 'GH' keyboard, as fitted to the Clavinova CLP-220. You are right in that the next Clavinova, the CLP-230 has the super-duper 'GH3' keyboard.

The YDP-131/140 has fewer voices and a smaller amplifier (6, 6W) than the YDP-151/160 and CLP-220 (10, 20W).

However, one interesting development is that the new YDP-140 and 160 both have half-pedal control, which neither previous models have, nor even the CLP-220! I guess this isn't particularly important for a beginner though. I guess it will all come down to price and I haven't seen prices for the new YDPs yet.

I will have to have a look at the Roland FP-4 to see if it measures up, but I can't see how it can be a better piano than a Yamaha AND offer all the extras at the price.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I haven't heard or yet seen much of those new models save for the fact that the piano samples are supposed to be more refined and of a higher standard.

I heard back from my contact at Yamaha and he tells me that there are hardly any differences between the CLP-220 and the YDP-151. The YDP-151 was apparently a short-term import into the country and when all stocks are sold, will no longer be available.

The GH3 keyboards are really good - my CP300 has the GHE keyboard too. A really good job yet the GH3 keyboard is even better than that!
Last edited by markymark on 18 Jun 2008, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

This whole issue of half-pedalling seems to becoming more and more popular. When the P70 and P140 replaced the P60 and P120, this was one of the main updates to their predecessors.

I have to say, it's not all that big a deal; I mean, as a pianist, I very rarely use that technique. I wouldn't go as far as to say the feature is like an ash-tray on a motor-bike, but not really an essential feature for me. I'd rather they just offered more by way of voice quality and scrap the half-pedal in those models. It'd probably be more useful!
Johan

Post by Johan »

Well I went for the YDP-151 (couldn't wait until June for the new YDP-160), paid £500 incl. delivery and I am very pleased so far! It really is the the same as a Clavinova CLP-220, only in a slightly different case and £200 cheaper. What's impressed me the most is the finish and overall quality of constuction. I was led to believe that this wasn't quite as good as the Clavinovas, but I can't fault it.

If you're thinking of buying a YDP-131 then definitely think about paying an extra £50 for the 151. You get more voices and the 'GH' keyboard (the same as the Clavinova CLP-220) rather than the 'GHS' keyboard on the YDP-131. You also get 2x20W amplification rather than 2x6W. There may be one or two other differences, but I can't recall them now. Anyway, fantastic value!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Great!
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Hello,

Do you mind me asking where you ended up getting your YDP 151 from, as I am interested in getting the same one?

Thanks
Alfleria

Re:

Post by Alfleria »

markymark wrote: 12 Mar 2008, 21:02 As I've often said to other people considering a digital piano, there really is (so far) only one brand to aim for if realistic hammer action and piano sound are two priorities and that is Yamaha.

You've asked an interesting question! One of the annoying things about digital pianos, as you start comparing pianos within product ranges, is the amount of overlaps at top and bottom ends of ranges within the same brand. In your case, you are comparing a top of the range model in an entry/beginner's product range (YDP-151) with the poorer relation of a higher spec family of instruments, i.e. the CLP-220. You will always get overlaps in situations like these unfortunately. I've often asked "Why?" in these situations myself but Yamaha always seems to have had overlaps in their instruments for as long as I have been using their products.

The CLP-220 falls below the standard of it's big brothers and I have never personally given it too much recognition in comparison to the others. In fact, I think, if I'm not mistaken, the CLP-230 has a better quality piano sample. I noticed that Yamaha aren't pushing the YDP-151 as much as before, despite claims that it is supposed to be an improved version of the YDP-131 but I know that the release of the YDP-160 is imminent which will likely push the boundaries even further in terms of product quality and technology so that could be why. As for the Roland, if you like the YDP-151, you may be disappointed by the Roland FP-4. By all means, try the instrument and see what you think - touch and sound is a personal decision despite whatever I say. My opinion and yours may differ on the whole sound and touch issue as some people prefer a heavier key response and some a lighter one.... the list goes on!

I have asked someone to enquire more into the similarities between these Yamaha models just to be sure so more info to follow!
I'm contemplated to buy a clavinova. but i'm stuck between CLP 230, YDP 151, CVP 204. Which one do you suggest for me to get?? I'm a beginner.. I've searched throughout the internet about CLP and CVP but I lack info about YDP. Could you please help me ??
reviewexpress

Re: Yamaha YDP-151 vs what else?

Post by reviewexpress »

Yamaha YDp-151 is nice but if you want you can check the yamaha ypt-220 is also,it is great durability nice sound ...