Are they any good for learning the Organ?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Carl

Are they any good for learning the Organ?

Post by Carl »

Ok so i want to learn to play the small church organ and don`t have enough room for a organ and was just thinking that wether i could learn to play the organ or get the gist of playing the organ by playing the electric piano.

Any help appreciated.

Carl
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Yes and no... :?

Obviously, the keyboard will be the same in terms of layout and many of the digital pianos/stage pianos have good church organ samples too.

The two main limitations would gravitate around the issue of having two manuals as opposed to one and also the point about the absence of foot pedals.

Speaking from experience, the first point is not that major if you are working with a small - medium sized electronic organ in your church, but the absence of foot pedals on the digital piano makes rehearsal and the learning of new songs more difficult when transferring to the church organ.

I used to have an electone which was basically a miniature electronic organ (with one octave of bass pedals) and this helped. Still had some difficulty transferring those skills to a larger 32 pedal organ though!

If you can try and balance practices between your digital and the church organ, I don't see any problem!