Piano noise annoying neighbours

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Alix

Piano noise annoying neighbours

Post by Alix »

Dear All

Yesterday we recevied a letter from EH saying a complaint had been lodged regarding music noise from our property.

I spoke with EH this morning and found out that a neighbour has complained about "piano playing, sometimes late at night past 10pm".

I didn;t realise that my playing (I am a professional pianist) was annoying the neighbour so much, and to be honest, I didn't think that 10pm was late

However, could anyone help with the best course of action now? The neighbour didn't speak to me about this first so the letter from EH was the first I knew they were upset. The letter has really upset me as I'd hate to think I was distressing someone with my playing.

EH won't tell me which neighbour complained either (I am in the middle of a terrace) and I don't want to talk to the wrong one about it!

I know I need to talk to the neighbours though and would appreciate some thoughts/suggestions on what might appease them. I will, of course, stop playing by 10pm now but what else can I offer to do?

I don't want to be in the situation where the neighbour tells me what time to play, nor do I want to upset them, nor do I want to creep round my own home for fear they may complain again.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

Alix
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

As far as I know,you have to comply with whatever your neighbour says or risk having the piano confiscated. A digital piano or one with a silent system should get around the 'noise' problem
Alix

Post by Alix »

athomik wrote:As far as I know,you have to comply with whatever your neighbour says or risk having the piano confiscated. A digital piano or one with a silent system should get around the 'noise' problem
but I dont want a digital piano. THey can really confiscate my piano for playing at 10pm?! i though the law was not after 11pm or before 7am?
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

[quote="Alix
but I dont want a digital piano. THey can really confiscate my piano for playing at 10pm?! i though the law was not after 11pm or before 7am?[/quote]
From what I've heard, if the EH officer considers the sound to be a nuisance, he can call the police and get whatever equipment is producing the 'noise' confiscated.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Alix wrote:
athomik wrote:As far as I know,you have to comply with whatever your neighbour says or risk having the piano confiscated. A digital piano or one with a silent system should get around the 'noise' problem
but I dont want a digital piano. THey can really confiscate my piano for playing at 10pm?! i though the law was not after 11pm or before 7am?
O yes they can its all down to the interpretation of the local inspector you have more leeway between them hours but if the inspector visits your neighbour and feels that the sound is unreasonable they will give you a compliance order. They have to be there and hear the sound

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Silent system pianos are coming down in price, and you only need listen to the digital sound after 10pm. Have you told the EH that the neighbours didn't bother to approach you first? Slabs of polystyrene under/behind piano can also deaden sound, as can putting proper carpets down instead of this laminate flooring craze which is causing similar problems to yours everywhere.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Piano noise annoying neighbours

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Alix wrote:Dear All

Yesterday we recevied a letter from EH saying a complaint had been lodged regarding music noise from our property.

I spoke with EH this morning and found out that a neighbour has complained about "piano playing, sometimes late at night past 10pm".

I didn;t realise that my playing (I am a professional pianist) was annoying the neighbour so much, and to be honest, I didn't think that 10pm was late
if they have Children it is
Alix wrote: However, could anyone help with the best course of action now? The neighbour didn't speak to me about this first so the letter from EH was the first I knew they were upset. The letter has really upset me as I'd hate to think I was distressing someone with my playing.

EH won't tell me which neighbour complained either (I am in the middle of a terrace) and I don't want to talk to the wrong one about it!

I know I need to talk to the neighbours though and would appreciate some thoughts/suggestions on what might appease them. I will, of course, stop playing by 10pm now but what else can I offer to do?
EH have to send out a letter even if they don't agree but it normally takes 2 complaints depending on you LA so one neighbour my have been taking to the other. I would have a word with both neighbours to see if you can come to an agreement over time also you may find that one neighbour is not that bothered so put the piano on there wall.
Alix wrote:

I don't want to be in the situation where the neighbour tells me what time to play, nor do I want to upset them, nor do I want to creep round my own home for fear they may complain again.

Alix
I have been there and you will fined that some neighbours start to complain about the little things like taxis beeping their horn.... EH have to be present when the sound is being made the standard test is they stand in the room with your neighbours telly on and if they can hear your piano above it then you have problem if they have kids and they can hear it in the kids bedroom and they can tell what tune you are playing then you have a big problem

The World Health Organization has suggested a standard guideline value for average noise levels of 30dB(a) for bedrooms Normal piano practice makes 60 -70dB(a) and sound travails at night.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Alix

Post by Alix »

Thanks all.

Have been to see both neighbours. Seems it is continuous playing that is the problem and the fact it is loud in their back bedroom (echos up the chimney...)

Have agreed to try and move the piano to a different place and not play past 9.30pm.

We think the problem was that i had to record My Fair lady one evening and practised for 3 hours solid....

Still, all seems amicable now.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

You could also get a Gabor silent system retro fitted.

See recent thread.
major corbin dallas
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by major corbin dallas »

Alix,

Firstly can I state that I have admiration for any professional musician. I, on the other hand, am a very amateur pianist, but a professional London Police Officer. I have read your thread with interest, and whilst the police are not the lead agency for a noise dispute, I have attended many incidents of this “nature” and given advice and guidance.

I am pleased that you have discussed the issue with both of your neighbours, rather than ignore the issue. I found two sentences within your original posting relevant ; they were

“The letter has really upset me as I'd hate to think I was distressing someone with my playing.”

And

“I don't want to be in the situation where the neighbour tells me what time to play, nor do I want to upset them, nor do I want to creep round my own home for fear they may complain again.”

Unfortunately my view is that, regardless of how good a pianist I was living next to, if I had my evenings filled with music from next door, I would be aggrieved. There are times when I just want it to be quiet. Your activity would be intruding into “my space”, and I wouldn’t be able to control when it occurred or for how long. We should all try to be good neighbours, and that means being tolerant of the occasional intrusion e.g. late night fireworks, the occasional house party next door or minor car parking issues – but if that intrusion is every evening during the working week with your music filling my lounge – that for me would be too much.

The reality is that you are living in a terraced house. I would strongly suggest that you take up some of the good advice given by other contributors to this forum i.e silent piano options, spending money on effective sound proofing or limiting your playing to the working day because In my view I suspect that 9.30pm will still be late for all but the most tolerant of neighbours. I wish you luck with it, keep talking with your neighbours but go the extra mile to limit the effect of your talents on others. Either that or pop down the estate agents and look for a detached property for sale.

Regards,

MCD
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Good call officer!

Love the orange rubber vest btw........
major corbin dallas
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Thanks.

Yes, a wonderful film ! Not many pianos though

MCD
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Three hours of 'My Fair Lady'? Forget EH, if I lived next door to that I'd be sobbing down the blower to the Samaritans. Or more likely reaching for a very big, very blunt object. I think you got off pretty lightly :wink:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

major corbin dallas wrote:Thanks.

Yes, a wonderful film ! Not many pianos though

MCD
Yes.

Only one I think, a mocked-up baby grand which gets trashed along with a valuable antique radio in the Diva's cabin!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

What orange rubber vest? What film? Was I asleep for that part of college?? :shock:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:What orange rubber vest? What film? Was I asleep for that part of college?? :shock:
Na you were in the pub with the rest of us 8) fixing that hangover

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
major corbin dallas
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Gill,

Major Corbin (Korben) Dallas is the character that Bruce Willis plays in the 1997 Sci-Fi film, "The Fifth Element". Pianoguy got it straight away when he mentioned his futuristic orange rubber t shirt.

It is the Steinway of the film world - my number one film ! I know it should be "Shine" or Roman Polanski's "The Pianist" but I love version of the future they portray.

Regards

MCD
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Working on that basis I'd be an oompa loompa.