Yamaha DGX620 vs. P-Series (P60, P120, P140 etc.)

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

AlanC

Yamaha DGX620 vs. P-Series (P60, P120, P140 etc.)

Post by AlanC »

Sorry, another X vs. Y thread!

I'm a complete beginner and am looking to buy a digital piano. I've narrowed my choices to the Yamaha DGX620 or Yamaha P-series stage piano. I'm going to use midi with a PC so bells and whistles aren't as important as good piano feel for me.

I've a few questions..

Do all the P-series (P60, P120, P140 etc.) have the same feel? For example, is the P140 better than the P60?
Does the P-Series have "weighted" keys?
Does the DGX620 have a more realistic "piano" feel?
Could Yamaha have made the DGX620 look any more like nasty Argos furniture?!

All help appreciated!

--Alan
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The main difference between the two keyboards is that the P-series doesn’t really have all the bells and whistles you talk about but the DGX-620 does with more voices, preset songs and rhythms than the P140. Both have some kind of sequencer installed. The DGX has a six track sequencer and the P140 has a two track sequencer. In response to your questions:

Do all the P-series (P60, P120, P140 etc.) have the same feel? For example, is the P140 better than the P60?
ALL P-series instruments are installed with Yamaha’s GHS (Graded Hammer Standard keyboard).

Does the P-Series have "weighted" keys?
No, it has hammer action keys. You need to make sure you can clarify the difference between a “weighted keyboard” and a “hammer-action keyboard”. "Weighted keyboard" is a term that is used loosely at times but technically, is just what it says: keys with some weight on the other end of each key to create some kind of key resistance. However, hammer action keyboards replicate the action and feel of an acoustic piano. Of course there aren’t real hammers inside the keyboard but the keys are graded so that lower notes are heavier and higher pitched notes have a lighter feel.

Does the DGX620 have a more realistic "piano" feel?
According to Yamaha, the DGX-620 also has the GHS keyboard installed.

Could Yamaha have made the DGX620 look any more like nasty Argos furniture?!
Probably not. To me, it doesn’t look like a serious instrument but there are some cool extras installed!

Personally, I would encourage you to go and try the instruments. I have outlined some of the main differences between the two ranges. Fiddle around and see if the DGX's extras are worth having or not. Only you can decide what is going to be right for you.
JamesB-MIDI-Boy

P60

Post by JamesB-MIDI-Boy »

The P60 has no internal sequencing or recording, just 10 sounds and some demo piano recitals as well MIDI in and out and a reverb setting to make it sound like you're in a big hall.

It's very basic bu t for me, having played a 100 year old vertically strung upright for nearly 40 years, it's like going from a Mini to a Ferrari.