Yamaha M5j

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

gav101

Yamaha M5j

Post by gav101 »

Hi,

some help please. I have been offered a Yamaha M5J piano. It appears to be in excellent condition and sounds okay to my untrained ears. The asking price &1100. Is this a good buy for my wife who is returning to playing the piano after a long break. She is around grade 5 standard. I understand the piano was built in 1979.

many thanks

Gavin
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

This is not a model I'm familiar with, I recently tuned a M1j which was made in the late 70s and this was ok.

I understand the M5j piano was built for Canada and the USA but I'm having difficulty at present in getting much info about this piano.

As for price it sounds ok but get a local qualified tuner to check over the piano for you.

Regards
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
gav101

Yamaha M5j

Post by gav101 »

Thanks for the reply. I have searched the internet for information on this model piano and it does appear to be advertised predominantly in Canada and the States. I checked the serial number and it would appear to be made in Japan. I also checked the serial number on the American Yamaha Website and it indicated that the piano was not made for the American market.

I am a little concerned becuase I have read some information on the Yamaha Website about pianos being made for specific locations around the world.The serial number ties up with production in Japan for 1979 (serial number D282****).Assuming the piano was made in Japan and it is about 25 years old will it be be okay for British climates.
Melodytune

Re: Yamaha M5j

Post by Melodytune »

gav101 wrote:I am a little concerned becuase I have read some information on the Yamaha Website about pianos being made for specific locations around the world.The serial number ties up with production in Japan for 1979 (serial number D282****).Assuming the piano was made in Japan and it is about 25 years old will it be be okay for British climates.
I agree with the serial number you provide and the date of the piano (1979). I service a number of pianos of this age and while most are fine, some pianos have developed loose tuning pins as a result of being brought in to our drier centrally heated homes. The price sounds reasonable so if the piano sounds and plays ok to your ears, chances are that its fine, I would still say - for re-assurance you could either take a piano tuner to examine the piano for you, he/she would have the ability to check that the sound board or wrest plank (where the tuning pins are attached) has not split. If you consider the piano to sound ok you could get a music teacher to play it and test it from a playing point of view.

Regards
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner