Clavinova - faulty E & A sharp

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

mrshowtime

Clavinova - faulty E & A sharp

Post by mrshowtime »

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a clavinova clp - 370. It all works fine except for the E & A sharp in each octave.
I don't know anything about the mechanics of digital pianos but to me it sounds like a faulty connection. I have had it apart and had a look, all the connections seem ok and the fuses on the circuit board are all ok.

Anyone know what this problem is likely to be? I tried hooking it up to an external speaker system via the phono output to see if it was a fault with the audio out (the connection wires to the speakers and pedals seem venerable so thought that might be an issue) but no sound was being output, not sure if this is a connected problem or not I wouldn't have thought so but i'm no expert, the connectors are a little corroded so am putting it not working down to that.

I have tried locating a service manual to try and narrow down the problem and understand the wiring but can't seem to find one anywhere :s

There are two sets of wire looms which emerge from the keys, one on a block of 12 wires and the other 16 - without understanding the workings I can't correspond these wires to their functions on the keys - again, any pointers?

Thanks in advance for any help or advise. If you can answer any of the items above I will be one step closer. Apologies for the newb questions...

Cheers! :D
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Clavinova - faulty E & A sharp

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

A chap phoned me yesterday to see if I knew who could help him repair some sticking keys on his digital piano. I'm always a bit stuck as to what to suggest. Will piano tuners normally be willing to tackle a mechanical fault in a digital piano? I'd guess not.

So what do people do? Throw it away and buy a new one?
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
AroundAgain
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AroundAgain »

Hi

You say your Clavinova is 'recently acquired' so does that mean recently bought, in which case it will be under warranty. If second hand and/or out of warranty then obviously a different situation.

Have you tried contacting music shops who sell digital pianos and ask where they would seek such advice and electronic support?

I can understand you trying to fix it yourself, as I assume such repairs could be costly.

I wish you the best of luck and hope your piano is soon back to it's former glory so that you can enjoy the benefits

Cheers
mrshowtime

Post by mrshowtime »

no not a new one, it was given to me, it's quite old, not sure how old but at least 10 years i guess, it's in great condition, no sticky keys or anything. I don't mind spending some money on repairing it after all it hasn't cost me anything so far, but would far prefer to repair myself. I will try some piano shops today.

Anyone have any ideas?
AroundAgain
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AroundAgain »

Hi
You don't say what part of the country you are in, so hard to recommend a music shop.

I was in Millers, Cambridge, yesterday and they would be my first thought to ask advice. Presumably, any decent shop selling digital pianos will have somewhere for repairs. They will surely have been asked this question before.

Have you tried Google-ing for music shops in your area? That's where I think I would start.

Good luck. Be good to know how you get on

Cheers
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Contact adrian.thomas@gmx.yamaha.com for details of freelance engineers in your area. You can also order a service manual from the Yamaha Spares department on 01908 369261.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net