General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

danlightbulb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Digital piano key noise - real facts wanted

Post by danlightbulb »

Hi all,

Im new to the forum, but have been learning piano for about 18 months, recently passed my grade 2.

I bought a classenti digital piano and my biggest bug bear is the key noise.

What I really want to know, but struggle to find any information on, is whether this is the same across all brands.

I plan to go and try a yamaha, but going into these expensive 'posh' piano shops is quite daunting at times, especially if im not buying lol!

Thanks
AroundAgain
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Digital piano key noise - real facts wanted

Post by AroundAgain »

Hi Dan

Welcome ... Yes, I'm a new member too!

I can't help regarding your key noise, I'm afraid but, regarding going into these music shops to try the instruments and feeling daunted, my feeling is that these music shops must surely understand that you need to try out instruments, ie digital pianos before buying.

You are potentially spending a lot of your money and so it is an important decision. They are there to sell and I like to try to assess what their motives are for you to buy any particular model. Are they just wanting to get rid of something that has proven difficult to sell; maybe there are new models due in so want to shift the old; maybe there is more commission/profit in a particular brand/model.

In my opinion, they should welcome you trying out their instruments, with the hope that you choose the right one for your needs. They are likely to get further business from you in the future, re music scores, accessories, further sales etc, if they have facilitated you making the right choice.

So, although like you, I feel it is maybe daunting, or even a bit of a cheek, going around different shops, trying the instruments, it's something they must be used to, surely. Even if, after all that, when you make your choice, you order on-line, you will possibly still be spending money with them in the future.

However, you are also potentially building up a rapport with the shops, which could be very advantageous to both parties in the future.

Good luck and keep going. The shops are the ones who want your money - they should be happy to help you decide what's right for YOU, eh?

Cheers
AA
danlightbulb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by danlightbulb »

Yes your right about the shops of course. There aren't that many places that sell these things though, long travel times too.

Got to say i'm disappointed with the lack of response about key noise from this forum.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

I find that most keyboards have clunky keys. Why? Because you typically them at lower volumes than a proper acoustic piano (I do anyway). If you turn the keyboard right up or play it with headphones does the clunky key noise seem less obvious?
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

danlightbulb wrote:Yes your right about the shops of course. There aren't that many places that sell these things though, long travel times too.

Got to say i'm disappointed with the lack of response about key noise from this forum.
Keyboard noise is kind of a feature of digital pianos however the better quality ones (of which Classenti is not really one - barely lower mid-range quality) the keyboard action is much better, stable and durable.
AroundAgain
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AroundAgain »

Hi Markymark

Are you saying that 'noisy keys' are more of an issue in the better quality digital pianos? I had assumed it would be the other way around so am very interested to know.

As you may already know, I am looking around for a digital piano so this is cleary something I will need to be aware of.

Thanks everyone
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Sorry - I was being rushed out of the house to be somewhere yesterday (if you get what I'm saying). I editted the post made earlier.

You tend to hear people complaining about key noise in models such as Casio, M-Audio as well as some of the "retailer branded" items, however, I haven't heard many complaining about the Classenti models. I have not have had any personal experience with Classenti however, given that the brand has not been able to rise above Yamaha, Roland or even Casio in major music instrument retailers in Northern Ireland (or at least the ones I have come across) speaks volumns in itself regarding Classenti's placement on the digital piano rankings.

I'm not saying its a bad instrument however the piano sounds I have heard are not overly impressive to my ear. I am a Yamaha advocate and would even suggest Roland as another option.
AroundAgain
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AroundAgain »

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm most likely to go for Clavanovia or Roland. I'm pleased to hear the better models tend to have less key noise! I have re-read your 'edited' sentence and it make more sense to me now. thanks for that clarification.

Have you had opportunity to play the newer model, CLP430? I am interested to know how it compares with the 320 and 330.

Cheers
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

On purchasing a lesser-known DP, usually you would be paying less than a top-end DP therefore you must expect compromises such as noisier keys and a build-quality that leaves a fair amount to be desired. Sometimes too - but not always - you get less features - no recording function for checking your performance/audio recording to flash memory, 96-note polyphony or less, etc.
Generaly the better-known makes such as Yamaha and Roland - even some of the top Casio models are a joy to play, and although there will still be some noise from the keys it is certainly not of a level that will unduly distract the player.
I have a Yamaha PF1000 which must be getting on for 8 years old now - a high-end instrument when new but now fairly old in DP terms. I play it daily as a back-up to an acoustic piano. I have never had any bother with noise from the keys, in fact I've never ever thought about it - and just had to play a few keys to see what noise was present. Yes, without the instrument switched on one can hear some key noise, but this has always been unnoticeable whilst playing/concentrating on sheet music etc.
So if you are playing your DP and the key noise is irritating to the extreme, it seems like you may have to shop around for another model. But none are totally 'silent'. Bear that in mind.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

AroundAgain wrote:Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm most likely to go for Clavanovia or Roland. I'm pleased to hear the better models tend to have less key noise! I have re-read your 'edited' sentence and it make more sense to me now. thanks for that clarification.

Have you had opportunity to play the newer model, CLP430? I am interested to know how it compares with the 320 and 330. Cheers
I've played both and they are excellent DP's.
The 430 not only has a larger sound, 2x30watts compared to 2x20watts (I think), but also a superior sound engine. From memory both have audio USB which in my mind is an excellent feature.
I suggest you spend some time auditioning both, and make a decision based on your personal findings, and budget. If you are not happy with the 'noise' of the keys on either of these - you have a problem....... :wink:
Do NOT be daunted as you say going into some 'posh' music stores. Explain to the salesperson you already have a short-list of possible DP's. (DONT be pressurised into buying another make/model- the chances are high that the salesperson gets a better commission on it). Say you want to be left alone quietly for a short while to audition them. Take along a pair of headphones or ask the salesperson to make a pair available.
Let us know how you get on.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
AroundAgain
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AroundAgain »

Thanks, NewAge
That's very useful reading. I have to say, the digital pianos that I have played, in the local music shop (Yamaha 161, Roland F110 and *201), I didn't notice any noise from the keys. I am only slightly aware of keys on my little Casio keyboard.

I suspect key noise won't be too much of an issue to me as I, unfortunately, have hearing problems!!! Yes, a disaster when it comes to trying to learn a musical instrument, eh!!! Having said that, I do enjoy playing the keyboard and, all being well, I would like to have a digital piano.

Umm, I have seen that some have USB which I would like to have, particularly as my PC is in a different room.

Again, thanks very much for your information. Yes, I will post how I get on. Things are a bit delayed again just now, due to waking up the other morning VERY deaf in my 'good' ear - ARGH. Anyway, the hearing seems to be a bit improved but I'm having to listen to a very low tone buzz. Only advantage of that is that it's drowning out most of the high pitched whistle I get in the other ear!!! Oh, what fun... I may jest, but have to admit it's rather worrying. I'm not hearing the keyboard properly at the moment, but hope all will be back to 'normal' again soon.

Cheers
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I was just looking at the Yamaha website and noticed that there does seem to be a CLP- X20 in the new CLP-400 range! Is that an oversight on the website or is that the status quo for the new range?

That means that the new CLP400 range only has the CLP-430, 440, 470 and 480 - a sign of the times?

The CLP-430 now has the mid-range GH3 hammer action keyboard which was reserved for the CLP-240 and CLP-340. I must make an effort to get to a music store to try these out. It will be interesting to see if the synthetic ivory key tops in the GH3 hammer action keyboard, the "Real Grand Expression" sound engine and the smooth release and damper resonance features of the NW action in the CLP-470 and 480 really make much of a difference to the CLP-300 range's equivalent models.

Price wise, the online price could be as little as £150 between a CLP-330 and a CLP-430, depending of course on the finish you choose.
AroundAgain
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AroundAgain »

Again, thanks

My apologies. I think I should have typed CLP430 and not 420 - don't think there is such a model. My mistake !!!

I would love to hear your opinion of the CLP430 once you have had opportunity to try it out. My local music shop doesn't have it available; a music shop in a city further afield have them in stock but not on display, as yet.

I wonder if it worth the extra £150 for the 430 or whether the CLP320 is enough for me. Still, I'm not rushing into buying at the moment but, certainly, researching them does get a bit mind-boggling. A review on a particular website for the CLP430 is by a very disatisfied owner, which is a bit worrying too.

So, I continue to be interested in opinions ...

Thanks