P95 Delivery delayed

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

PaddyD
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

P95 Delivery delayed

Post by PaddyD »

I've just been sent an email from the shop I bought my P95 from, they have none in stock (although this was not what their website said) and they'll be getting a delivery of them in 'around the end of April'.
I can't wait that long! But, it does seem standard practice as almost every site I go to has an estimated shipping date of 3-4 weeks.
:sad:
Gill the Piano

Re: P95 Delivery delayed

Post by Gill the Piano »

No idea what a P95 is, Paddy, but sorry it's been delayed! :D
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
PaddyD
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PaddyD »

Sorry, should have said! It's a Yamaha P95 digital piano.
I've managed to find a local Yamaha dealer who can deliver one on Tuesday, so I'm back to being happy again. :D
PaddyD
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PaddyD »

Seriously, this weekend has turned into a nightmare for digital pianos. Had arranged for P95 to be delivered Tuesday, turns out it is a display model, so not having that.

After MUCH toing and foing, I'm 90% settled on a Yamaha YDP161, which has the better feel apparently.

I'll update you all when/if I get my piano. :evil:
PaddyD
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PaddyD »

Ahhhh finally sorted.
Yamaha YDP161 arrives tomorrow.
:piano;
AroundAgain
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AroundAgain »

Hi folks
May I, firstly, say 'hello'. This is my first post here. I have recently started piano lessons again, 50yrs on from having got to Grade 3 as a child, so a lot of re-learning to do, having only a little (5 octave, very light touch) Casio keyboard at the moment!

May I ask Paddy what he liked about the YDP161, as opposed to other specs. I am thinking of buying a digital piano, and that is one of the models I have on my list. How does it compare to an acoustic piano etc?

Then, a query to all, what makes/models of digital pianos have you experience with; what do you like/dislike; any tips of what I should be looking for? Yes, I would have loved a good acoustic piano. In fact, only 2 yrs ago, sold my parents lovely Bechstein upright but I wasn't even dreaming of playing again then. However, have to think of adjoining neighbours, hence a digital piano is the solution, I think.

Perhaps I should stick with the Casio for a while longer but I am concerned that I would be better learning on a 'better' instrument.

All help and advice welcomed. Thanks to all
AroundAgain
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AroundAgain »

Hi
My 'little' Casio keyboard has only 66 keys (I think; haven't counted them) - 5 octaves, so not a 'full set', as it were!

Yes, good idea to try the Digital Piano forum.

Sorry to have hijacked this forum - had meant to post a 'New Topic'. My mistake; sincere apologies.

Nice to 'meet' you PianoLove. I have read lots of the posts, so your name is familiar. Hope you are doing ok. Think you said recently you had eczema and acupuncture? Hope things improve.

Yes, I am really enjoying playing again but, as my memory is really bad, it makes learning hard. What I practice one day, I've forgotten how to do the next day - so takes a lot of repetition and days of practice. I'm making good progress though. Maybe wanting to progress quicker than it's possible!!! ;) I think maybe it's easier to pick up and remember stuff as a kid, but as adult, I think maybe you can apply yourself a bit better, and some things are perhaps more 'logical' when you are an adult, if you see what I mean. It's certainly different relationship with my teacher, as she is a church friend too, and I am older than her. Fortunately, she is very encouraging but will correct me when I'm doing wrong - she has a good balance. Yes, loving it!!!

So, meet you again soon

Cheers, and thanks
PaddyD
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PaddyD »

AroundAgain wrote:Hi folks
May I, firstly, say 'hello'. This is my first post here. I have recently started piano lessons again, 50yrs on from having got to Grade 3 as a child, so a lot of re-learning to do, having only a little (5 octave, very light touch) Casio keyboard at the moment!

May I ask Paddy what he liked about the YDP161, as opposed to other specs. I am thinking of buying a digital piano, and that is one of the models I have on my list. How does it compare to an acoustic piano etc?

Then, a query to all, what makes/models of digital pianos have you experience with; what do you like/dislike; any tips of what I should be looking for? Yes, I would have loved a good acoustic piano. In fact, only 2 yrs ago, sold my parents lovely Bechstein upright but I wasn't even dreaming of playing again then. However, have to think of adjoining neighbours, hence a digital piano is the solution, I think.

Perhaps I should stick with the Casio for a while longer but I am concerned that I would be better learning on a 'better' instrument.

All help and advice welcomed. Thanks to all
Hey!
Basically, I had a 66 note keyboard, it was relatively cheap that I was given some years ago, and had no piano action. My choices were, try and learn on that, or, get a better, but still cheap, digital piano (I had no idea about digital pianos before this).
I think if I continued with the keyboard, I'd lose motivation quickly and pick up bad habits, as the touch is so light, and it sounds pretty poor. Added into that, my piano lessons are on a grand piano, so it's a huge jump between a grand and a keyboard.
So, I began my research for a digital piano. - I'm at university so needed something to go in my room, that wasn't TOO difficult to get back home at vacation periods. Immediately I decided on Yamaha, quite simply because they have the best sound and action (in my opinion) and, if I didn't narrow the brand down immediately, I'd be overwhelmed with all the different types.
I originally went for the P95, it ticked all the boxes, and, for a student, wasn't too expensive. My budget was £500, which I assumed would get me pretty far.
However, after some issues getting a P95 to me, during this time I looked further into the GHS (Graded Hammer Standard), as my top priority was the touch. Eventually, I found the YDP161 had everything I needed, was much better sounding, and most importantly, the touch was far superior. (It also looks stunning on its stand)

Even though it was £250 more than my original budget, I felt that for the extra, I'd get a piano that I wouldn't outgrow for a long time, and, I'd enjoy practicing on it more.

Hope that helps!
PaddyD
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PaddyD »

Well, it arrived today and it was HUGE. The box is seriously big and heavy. Because I paid on a card, they could only deliver to my billing address, 46 miles away from my University room. So I rushed back to Manchester and waited for delivery.
If the box wasn't too heavy, I was going to take it on the train, but no chance. It took me and the delivery guy to get it in the house.

Anyway, long story short, managed to get it to my room, assembled, and here she is:

She has a lovely feel and even though it's a tight squeeze in my room, it looks incredible.
PaddyD
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PaddyD »

PianoLove wrote:She looks very happy there Paddy- and what lovely shiny pedals! :D
Still in their packaging :oops:
AroundAgain
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AroundAgain »

Hi

Yes, it does look good, and fits nicely there. Thanks for letting us know about it and why you chose it. I think it will be a month or so before I decide on getting something. I am using a little Casio keyboard just now so it would be lovely to get something more like a piano. However, it does me well just now.

I hope you enjoy playing it. Good luck with it, and your studies. Look forward to hearing more about the 161 in due course

Cheers
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It's amazing how many pianos I tune that still have their socks on. And their scarf over the keys to keep them warm... :roll: :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

That's sensible. I'm on about the one over the keys...mine has never had one. Can a piano be deprived? :)