General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

PaddyD
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Beginner with P95

Post by PaddyD »

Hello Everyone,
I'm a nearly a beginner with pianos. A few years ago I had around 6 months of lessons, until my keyboard died (£80 christmas present) and as a school student, couldn't afford a replacement.
I've always loved the sound of the piano, it is by far my favourite instrument and I'm relatively musical (played Clarinet to grade 6, some saxophone) so, now that I'm at university, wanted to get back into it.
I can get relatively cheap lessons (student discount) so I've literally just ordered the Yamaha P95. My biggest gripe with my old keyboard were the keys. Regardless of how hard/soft I pressed, same sound, so the key really was for a piano-like feel, which I believe the P95 has from reading all the reviews.

I managed to get it with stand, stool and headphones for £470 which I thought was good, £500 was my max budget.

My family are looking to invest in an upright piano, again, probably Yamaha, but being at university, I needed something portable.

My keyboard should be with me in 5-7 days, I'm extremely excited and have been reading these forums for days trying to find the right one.

Looking forward to chatting with you all soon.

Paddy
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Beginner with P95

Post by NewAge »

You'll probably be happy with the P95 as it's not a bad instrument for the price. But did you buy it without first trying it? If so, this can be somewhat risky as different makes not only sound different but feel different too, and that's the difference between getting an instrument that you like, and one you really love.
I would have recommended trying several different makes/models to any prospective buyer. The Korg Sp170 and Casio PX130 immediately come to mind. I few years ago I would never have thought about buying a Casio as a 'serious' instrument, but times have really changed.
Anyway good luck with your P95 and let us know how you get on with it.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
SirTK
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by SirTK »

I'm sure you will love your P95.
I did a lot of research for a dp about 3 years ago and ended up buying the P85 which was the current model at the time, now superseded by the P95.
All I would say is that the quality of your headset makes a lot of difference. My "big" Sennheisers died a little while ago and all I could find locally was a cheap set (also Sennheiser but about a sixth of the cost) and the difference in sound was amazing. I've pretty well got used to the cheapies now, but will spend on a better pair someday soon when I get round to it.

Have fun.
jonpeter001

Post by jonpeter001 »

Casio has improved a lot in recent years. The PX-700 is several models back.

You say $300 cheaper? That means the PX700 is selling for about $150. It's worth it at that price. Keep it for 6 months then sell for $100. In six months you will be a better judge of DPS and be ready to spend $1K or more on one.
# Can only record one user song; however this option is a pro for basic home use.
# Keyboard stand not included - extra $99
# No pre-made rhythms
# AC adaptor isn’t always included
Richardkn

Beginner with P95

Post by Richardkn »

I am going to do the standalone installation but can someone please help me with good sensors that i can use for this?