Clavinova 330 or 340? Is the internet useful?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Phil777

Clavinova 330 or 340? Is the internet useful?

Post by Phil777 »

I am hoping to purchase a digital piano for my wife who has just started to learn. She wants a piano that will do her for many years to come, as opposed to a 'start up' model. I have reduced my options to two pianos, the clavinova 330 or 340.

For an extra £260 I get the following extras with the 340: 4-level AWM instead of 3-level, synthetic ivory keytops, 40W x 2 speakers instead of 20W x 2 speakers and a LAN connection for Internet Direct Connection (IDC).

My question relates to the internet connection. Is it useful, or a bit of a gimmick? Is it difficult to download music, or is it any use to someone who is learning? I haven't been able to find any threads here or elsewhere that discuss the IDC. Can anyone direct me to any?

Finally, this may be a subjective question, but is the above list worth an extra £260? I don't mind paying the extra if its worth it, but similarly don't want to waste the money if the extras do little to add to the piano

Any help on the above would be really appreciated

Phil
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Clavinova 330 or 340? Is the internet useful?

Post by markymark »

The Yamaha UK website says that the LAN on the CLP-340 is there "to enable direct connection to the Internet for a wide variety of streaming piano radio programs and a selection of well-known method and exercise pieces."

I don't know anything about that but I don't hear many people talking about it either. My main reason for going for a CLP340 would be because of the piano sample (4-layer dynamic sampling) and the GH3 keybaord which is the best synthetic keyboard action available before moving into the Natural Wood and the like actions.

Have you tried playing either of them? You should notice a differnence in both action and sound.
Phil777

Post by Phil777 »

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I live in Co Fermanagh so there aren't too many music shops around. Belfast (which is 100 miles away) has Matchetts, but I don't think they have both models in their store (or even their website). Therefore I'm basing my opinion for now on those like yourself that know what you're talking about.

I've been leaning towards the 340 option so you've pushed me further in that direction. I like the idea of the internet connection, so if you think it is worth considering the extra money for the 340 based on the music sample and keyboard alone then I think the 340 is the correct choice for my wife

Thanks
Phil
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

You may or may not be aware that the CLP-340 sits right in the middle of the CLP-300 range. The models are CLP-320, 330, 340, 370 and 380.

The CLP-340 is a very respectable digital piano. For me, the CLP-330 sits to close to the entry level despite having some descent characteristics. If your wife is an inexperienced player, the CLP-330 is okay. However, if she is learning or has more experience, the CLP-340 is a better choice.

For me, the more attention being given to the design of the hammer action and voice sampling in a digital piano, the better. The CLP-370 and 380 have a much steeper RRP increase when coming from the CLP-340 which is where the cost needs to be counted - how much do you really want to pay for a digital piano to feel like an acoustic?

Sometimes, where cost is concerned, I think we need to be sensible about what we are buying too. There are digital pianos that have such sophisticated and expensive features that an acoustic would end up being more cost-effective. I suppose it also depends on what you want out of your instrument too.