Yamaha Clavinova purchasing help please

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

KateYardley

Yamaha Clavinova purchasing help please

Post by KateYardley »

Hi all,

To begin, I have no knowledge on pianos and therefore need advice in every way possible!

I am looking to purchase a Yamaha Clavinova piano for my partner for his 30th birthday. He has often mentioned in passing how much he would like one. Until I started looking recently I had no idea that I would be overwhelmed by such a choice, CLP/CVP and hundreds of models within each.

I wish I could be specific but other than price (would like to purchase second hand for under £400) I am not too sure of my options. My partner can play the piano averagely. I believe that the CVP styles are more gadgety? This is not entirely necessary for his requirements. My thinking is broadly that if he really enjoys playing the model I choose and outgrows it as his first electronic piano then we can always upgrade in a few years.

Apologies for such a vague post but I would really appreciate any advice.

Kate
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Yamaha Clavinova purchasing help please

Post by Colin Nicholson »

http://uk-piano.org/used-pianos-for-sal ... hp?id=3037

Try the above - ?? I wouldn't just think of "Yamaha" - there are loads of good makes out there, and too many to mention. (I don't sell/buy digitals, just teach, tune & restore acoustic pianos). Also depends on how far you want to travel for your £400!!

"Clavinova" is a brand name for Yamaha - not a general term used for "Yamaha digital pianos" - so if you go into a music shop, don't say, "have you got a Yamaha Clavinova?" Have you looked at the Yamaha P95? some sell it for under £500

Don't overlook other makes such as "Kawai Digital Pianos" - Kawai are very good, check out the CL/CN range for starter pianos.

You may need to rise your price slightly if you want a "newer" 2nd hand - older 2nd hand will not give you warranty, and some digitals and their components become obsolete in a few years - and depreciate in value QUICKLY!

It also depends whether you want a properly mounted digital piano with pedal board - that looks like a piano, or just a piano that sits on a keyboard stand?

Also click on the left here "Piano for sale by general public" - see what there is out there.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

If you are not looking for an average instrument without busting the bank, look into the Casio Privia range. Yamaha digital pianos sit around £500+ but casio can offer something reasonable for less than that. Look at the PX300 range for more information on the Casio website.

My only issue with Kawai is that their models tend to sit in the higher price range as do Roland. Maybe also look into a Korg SP-250.
KateYardley

Post by KateYardley »

Hi,

Thanks for your help here.

I have seen a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-920 for what seems like a reasonable £450 (also local to pick up!). I have read reviews about dodgy keys, sticking/breaking. Has anyone else experienced this? The piano has not been used much at all.

Many thanks,
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

A CLP-920 would have been the entry level model for the CLP-900 range and so would not show the best example of a Clavinova model - I'm sure the piano sample will be poor by current standards. Bear in mind also that the CLP range has since had the CLP-100, CLP-200 and now the current CLP-300 range since the CLP-900 were brought out. I reckon the model you are looking at is at least 10 years old.

I'm not a technician so I can't account for the key breakages you talk about but certainly in 20 years of using Yamaha digital pianos, I have NEVER had a key break. Velocity sensors had to be replaced on one model but that is standard after around 10-15 years. That is also a reason that I would be more likely to go for something newer. A 10-15 year old digital piano is an OAP and really biding its time if it has not been looked after VERY well.
confucious

Post by confucious »

According to that reliable source Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clavinova ) the 920 came out in 2000 so it's a max of 10 years old.
Ours turned up today and is in very good condition, everything works fine. Had to pay £70 to get it delivered but as we only paid £200 on eBay we still think we have a bargain.
I know nothing about pianos but my wife was working towards grade 6 many years ago and wanted a piano. I was just going to buy her a (cheap) electric keyboard but she said she wanted 88 keys so we were looking on eBay and couldn't afford most. Very pleased with what we got.
Have already printed some sheet music off the internet for her (which surprised her as she used to have to pay for it). She hasn't played for many years, I've already downloaded MidiNotate, can anyone recommend
any teaching software to get her back up to speed (preferably free)?
The Clavinova also has a 'Line out' port - searching for a 'Line out to USB cable' has so far revealed no results. Has anyone any idea if such a thing exists and if so where to get one?
Sorry if I've asked in the wrong forum / thread.
Thanks
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

confucious wrote:According to that reliable source Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clavinova ) the 920 came out in 2000 so it's a max of 10 years old.
Well without that reliable source (that is, if it is), 10-15 years wasn't a bad estimate! Intersting that that webpage mentions nothing about the introduction of the CLP200 range. :?

As for:
confucious wrote:The Clavinova also has a 'Line out' port - searching for a 'Line out to USB cable' has so far revealed no results. Has anyone any idea if such a thing exists and if so where to get one?
You would need to use the MIDI out port for interacting with a PC - I assume that is what you are trying to do?
confucious

Post by confucious »

It was very tongue in cheek when I called Wiki a reliable source but it's the best I have - if you have more information to add then one advantage of Wiki is that you can add it. Hopefully with facts like this that others can verify it might actually be accurate in this case.
Like you say, your estimate of 10 - 15 years was pretty accurate according to wiki.

I thought I might just be able to connect the line out on the piano to a line in on the PC but had since worked out that I'd need to use the Midi ports and have ordered a (very) cheap midi to USB converter which is on a slow boat from china and will take a few weeks to get here but my wife (who is the piano player) doesn't want to connect it to the computer anyway. I do, but that's because I know about computers but am tone deaf...

She's very pleased with the CLP920 - I'm sure there are a lot better pianos out there but I doubt if we could have got better for what we paid. It will certainly do her for a while! Maybe I'll be asking back here if she want's to move up but I think this will keep her happy for a while.

Thanks for replying.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

The CLP920 came out in the first half of 2000.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
Peterpilz

Post by Peterpilz »

You could also check the used Clavinovas - also check http://klaviererfolg.de/clavinova - that is what I did and I found a nice used Clavinova CLP.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Peterpilz wrote:You could also check the used Clavinovas - also check http://klaviererfolg.de/clavinova - that is what I did and I found a nice used Clavinova CLP.
:?:
Unfortunately not the most useful of links for an English language forum..........
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

You can find the owners manual here:
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/ ... v_code=emi

It should also have the basic specs.