Keyboard AMP for Yamaha NP30

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

htid

Keyboard AMP for Yamaha NP30

Post by htid »

Hi,

I'm new to the world of digital pianos (and musical instruments in general to be honest) and recently bought a Yamaha NP30 as it was the only one in my price range. Anyway, maybe this is just me being picky, I'm not sure, but the built in speakers don't sound up to the standard I was hoping for, having listened to this piece on youtube. Now I know that his is probably connected to masses of studio equipment, but I still wonder, would connecting the keyboard to an external amp around the £100 point improve quality? I was looking at this, but if it's not going to improve quality at all, then there's not really any point.

Thanks for any advice.
htid
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Keyboard AMP for Yamaha NP30

Post by markymark »

As well as this, the demos produced by Yamaha would have a direct feed into the audio. In other words, the sound is not being mic-ed from the speaker outputs in the recording studio. It would be wired directly into a sound desk.

The problem with keyboard amps is that they do not process the stereo signal coming from the keyboard - instead it sends out a mono output which sounds dead and dull. If you are looking into home practice, you could look into purchasing studio monitors like these: http://www.tweakheadz.com/studio_monitors.htm

I'm not recommending this particular brand - I have not had any need for them in the past. However, they are suited for home/studio using though would not be powerful enough for gigging. I would recommend you go to a local music retailer and ask for more advice just to be sure you are getting the right thing. Look at the likes of Dolphin Music, Absolute Music Solutions, Sounds Alive, etc. and ask for advice also.