Buying my Second Piano

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

zebeddy

Buying my Second Piano

Post by zebeddy »

Hi All

I have been playing the piano and having weekly lessons for two years now.

I live in a flat so have to practice on a digital piano (Clavinova 810s). It has been great to play but I feel I now need something a little better (more realistic) as my piano lets me get away with poor foot pedalling and it isn't massively realistic compared to the grand piano I play in my lessons.

All I want is something as realistic as possible with possibly a record function on it. I don't need different voices or beats...just a good quality piano. My budget is approx £700-800 although if something incredible was just above that price I would stretch a little further.
Any ideas from more experienced players? I don;t mind buying new or second hand.

Thanks in advance for all your help

David
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Buying my Second Piano

Post by markymark »

I'd recommend you start having a look around.

In the "new" market try and get a go on:

Yamaha P-140;
Yamaha P-85;
Clavinova CLP320 (although the CLP330 is better but over your budget);
Kawai ES6;
Casio PX range.

In the secondhand market, look out for any of the above or:
Yamaha (Clavinova) CLP-220, 230, 240;
Roland HP20X models.

This should give you a starting point.
zebeddy

Post by zebeddy »

Hi

Thanks for the input.

That gives me loads to look up on.
In your opinion, is it better to get a new piano because the newer technology means better sounds and more realistic feel or are new and old much of the same?

Thanks again
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The newer technology on the CLP300 range is better but the sounds on the CLP240, 270 and 280 are comparable because they sat on the mid to top of the range on the CLP200 Clavinova range. What I'm saying is that better models on the last range can often rival entry models on the new range.

Yamaha have not introduced any new keyboard actions that have not already been used by the CLP200 range, specifically the GH, GH3 and NW actions.