half press : is it the same as an accoustic piano?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

obverse

half press : is it the same as an accoustic piano?

Post by obverse »

Hi -

I have a casio celviano AP-200. I am an amateur player, self-teaching; working on 'the heart asks pleasure first'. I have found that some repeated notes on the right hand are silent and it seems to be because I am resting my finger on a note to be repeated (the E in the opening bars) and then doing a half-depress.
Playing the key from around 60%-100% depressed irrespective of force, is always silent. To get sound, I have to play the key from 0% depressed (i.e. untouched) to around 60%.

I will fix my technique problem and ensure I am releasing the key properly for repeated notes.
But it got me thinking: is this correct? Does an accoustic piano behave the same way, or is it a feature of digital pianos?

Thanks!
Mark Teehan
Singapore
NikkiC

Re: half press : is it the same as an accoustic piano?

Post by NikkiC »

I just learnt The Heart Asks Pleasure First. Great piece! The first part I learnt on a 20-year-old digital keyboard (horrible spongy keys), the second part I learnt on a CVP-509. I had no trouble with the first part on the old keyboard. My new digital piano has the double escapement action found on acoustic pianos, which allows a key to resound without having to lift your finger completely off the key. However, I do take my little finger completely off the key to resound the E.

Nikki
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: half press : is it the same as an accoustic piano?

Post by markymark »

obverse wrote:Does an accoustic piano behave the same way, or is it a feature of digital pianos?
It varies from piano to piano but you would find this in acoustics also.