best digital piano action ??

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

tredget1

best digital piano action ??

Post by tredget1 »

hi everyone, i new here but have an urgent problem or need some advice. I am a piano player who is studying on a jazz degree, practice a great deal but my problem is my fingers are finiding it hard to transfer my playing to upright and grand piano with ease as i practice on my ROLAND RD300GX, which has really light action for a hammered action piano. I am planning on buying a new home digital piano as i dont have the space for a steam upright piano. Could you help me out with the best home digital piano recommendation, which has a good piano sound and has a great hammered action (very heavy) that acts as a digital replacement for a real piano?? (My emphasis is on the Action not the sounds, well as long as there is a good piano sound.) cheers xmattx
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: best digital piano action ??

Post by markymark »

Okay, well depending on your budget, look into the Kawai MP5 or MP8 models, the latter - I THINK - has wooden keys. Kawai do feature quite a range of keyboard with wooden keys and better than that, full sized grand piano wooden keys.

For realism, this would be your best. If portability is not an issue you could look into the Clavinova CLP range, specifically the CLP370 or 380 or perhaps the older CLP280. These would be furniture type digital pianos - not portable.

You could also try out the Yamaha CP-300 - not very heavy but I think you would find it hard to find any digital piano that has a very heavy action.

From Roland, you could look into the FP-8 which will have an action that is heavier than the RD-300GX but perhaps not significantly so in order to make a big enough difference.
tredget1

Post by tredget1 »

yer ive tried the Kawai mp5 and that feels really similar to the roland 300gx i have but what about the yamaha p85 or yamaha cp33 or Arius 140?? any of those you recon for a good hard hammered action??
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The P85 is a lighter weight keyboard so you wouldn't have the robustness you would get in a heavier model. The YDP-140 has a GHE action which is okay and the CP33 is the cut down version of the CP-300 I mentioned which both have a GH action.

I own both and prefer the CP-300. The CP-33 I use for throwing in the back of my car.