Storing Digital Piano?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

ThunderFingers

Storing Digital Piano?

Post by ThunderFingers »

Hi, I was hoping I could get some advice on my Casio CDP 100.I have limited space at the moment and was wondering wheather it could harm anything if I have it stored vertically up against a wall.I was more concerned about the weighted keys as when it is in this position they seem to become light.I know its an odd question but its better safe than sorry.

Many thanks

Thunder
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Storing Digital Piano?

Post by markymark »

Most keyboards like these have a rugged, metal skin or chassis inside which help take the pressure off the insides of the keyboard and its mechanisms so that they can be stored on their sides. The CDP is not a heavy keyboard so I would have thought that storing it on its side shouldn't be an issue.

If you are very concerned, check with your dealer or contact Casio directly. I have never owned one and don't know anyone who does so can't give you personal experience on this one.
ThunderFingers

Post by ThunderFingers »

Thanks for the reply, could this be a problem with certain digital piano's or have you never heard of this kind of issue before.

Many thanks for the help.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Unless you are being rough with the keyboard or it is being moved around and jolted a lot, keyboards are generally very resilient. I have heard in cases where keyboards used for gigging that keys have been broken, weights fallen out or LCD screens getting broken, etc.

In the case of setting the keyboard on its end, I have not heard of one being damaged internally as a result of storing it on its side. Again, if you are still concerned, ask for confirmation from Casio directly.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

ThunderFingers wrote:Hi, I was hoping I could get some advice on my Casio CDP 100.I have limited space at the moment and was wondering wheather it could harm anything if I have it stored vertically up against a wall.I was more concerned about the weighted keys as when it is in this position they seem to become light.I know its an odd question but its better safe than sorry. Many thanks, Thunder
I would very much doubt that you could harm it by storing this way.

Due to space restrictions I have several keyboards stored vertically - an early 70's Yamaha PS30, Yam SY99 and Yam EX5, which don't seem to suffer at all from positioning this way.
I do try however to keep them as dry and as well ventilated as possible, as I know from experience that hot/humid conditions do adversely affect the rubber drive belt of the floppy drives - not easy to find but I always keep a spare.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"