Korg SP 250 or Yamaha P-85

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Relica

Korg SP 250 or Yamaha P-85

Post by Relica »

Hello I am new and looking forward to meeting you in the forums.

I created a thread on the international piano forums until a kind person over there directed me here.

I have two questions relating to digital pianos.

I have a budget of £500 and I have decided between either the Korg SP 250 or Yamaha P-85. The most important aspect to me is the weighted keyboard and want to be able to move from the digital to an acoustic for when I take grades.

So which piano has the best action most closely linked to an acoustic?

Secondly, does anyone know where I can try out both models together in the North East Midlands/Lincolnshire/Yorshire area.

Thanks in advance.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Korg SP 250 or Yamaha P-85

Post by markymark »

Personally, I prefer the keyboard action and sound of the P-85. I don't think the SP-250 has a realistic piano sound at all - just kind of okay but not as as good as Yamaha. If I remember rightly, the P-85 has rounded bottom which can make it feel less solid or robust when being played but with the right stand it should be okay.

Have you tried them yet yourself?
Relica

Post by Relica »

Thanks for the advise. I think the Yamaha P85 had the better sound but the keyboard action of the Korg SP 250 was better even to my limited knowledge.

I have since ordered the Korg Sp 250 so here hoping everything is OK.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

So long as you got a chance to try it for yourself and are not relying solely on other peoples' opinions.