Software pianos

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Software pianos

Post by markymark »

I haven't really considered these as an option but came across a couple a few weeks back and they sound really good. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these?
Jazzer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Software pianos

Post by Jazzer »

I have a friend who is playing with http://www.pianoteq.com/ and I was extremely impressed. In fact, for some time I have been considering replacing my rather aged travel instrument (Roland RD-150) but am currently wondering about trying this "upgrade" on the Roland instead. It would mean travelling around with a laptop, and my guess is that there is quite a bit of software fiddling required (presumably in the venue itself) to produce something better than the generic sound of my keyboard, but I may give it a go if first I have a little more time to spend on his set-up.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I have heard of Pianoteq right enough but do you know if you can use any of your other keybaord voices with it? For example, is it possible to layer a Pianoteq voicing with say strings on your own keyboard?

I was thinking about a rack model from say Kurzweil but again, can you combine features on your own keyboard with that on the software piano or a rack model? Our local music retailers don't really go in for rack models of anything so I have no personal experience of these... yet!
Jazzer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jazzer »

I don't know whether pianoteq would work with strings and other voices (they're not much use to me - I just need a good piano sound!) but I will certainly try when next I get a go on my friend's set-up. My next gig with the Roland is some five or so weeks away, unless more bookings come my way, so I'll probably forget all about electronics for the time being - and I see that one of my gigs is on a Yamaha S6 which is, for me, much more exciting than anything pianoteq has to offer! I will let you know the outcome of the experimentations, though, as I (like many others, I suppose) want one day to get as close as possible to the "real thing" with whatever will fit into the boot of my car!