Buying a digital piano in the UK (question from Canadian)

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

soaring_shrimp

Buying a digital piano in the UK (question from Canadian)

Post by soaring_shrimp »

Hi there,

I am about to move to London from Vancouver, Canada, and I own a Casio Privia CX-110. I am debating on selling the piano or keeping it which would mean having to going through the hassle of shipping the piano all the way to the UK (the cost of which would likely exceed 100.00CAD). I have tried selling the piano over eBay and the price I expected to get was around 400 CAD (approximately 225 GBP).

A few questions:

Would I be better off selling the piano for that price and thus skip the hassle of shipping the piano? I could then use the money
to lease/buy another digital piano in London. However, I've done a quick search through UK websites selling digital pianos and I couldn't find any digital piano for that amount (renting would amount to about the same total I am selling my piano for, so it doesn't seem worth it).

I am an adult beginner, and I know that ideally I should be practicing on a real piano. But because of space and financial constraints, I do not think I will be able to afford a real piano. I also expect to be living with roommates so the noise from an acoustic piano could become an issue.

And finally, I'd appreciate any advice on HOW one ships a digital piano overseas and the approximate costs
if anybody knows anything regarding this.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Buying a digital piano in the UK (question from Canadian)

Post by markymark »

Given the cost and hassle of shipping and insuring a fragile shipment like that PLUS the fact that the UK runs on a different current from US and Canada, bringing it across would be more hassle that it would be worth.

Try and sell it before you leave.
soaring_shrimp

Post by soaring_shrimp »

Thank you for your reply. But will I be able to buy/rent a digital piano in the UK that is similar to the one I currently own? I'm just worried it might be a lot more expensive getting a piano there.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

We do have that model in Uk but the Priva PX-110 retails around £400 here...

Not sure how that compares with the "new" exchange rates.

I know that the USD has benefited from the UK recession.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

markymark wrote:PLUS the fact that the UK runs on a different current from US and Canada, bringing it across would be more hassle that it would be worth.

Try and sell it before you leave.
As this keyboard uses an external AC adaptor, all you would need to do is buy the UK version of the adaptor when you get to the UK. If you don't need the stand and you have a flightcase for it, it should be reasonably safe to ship across. I would check with some courier companies and maybe the airline you're using to find out about cost and how much insurance cover they provide.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I suppose it is a low voltage item and the AC idea would probably work out too.

Still, it would be interesting to hear what they are going to quote you for shipping into the UK.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

markymark wrote:I suppose it is a low voltage item and the AC idea would probably work out too.

Still, it would be interesting to hear what they are going to quote you for shipping into the UK.
If it's done via a courier, I suspect the quote will involve arms and legs, but it may be possible to take on a plane as extra baggage.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net