I need a bit of help please to choose!

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Omega003

I need a bit of help please to choose!

Post by Omega003 »

Hello there,

I'm very new to this forum, just joined and have already read some of the posts. I'm looking to buy a digital piano and I don't really know which one is my best choice.
I played the piano for 20 years before I stopped because my sister moved out and she took the piano with herself. Now I've got my own place and I thought it's time to buy one for myself - but I haven't got that much space to get a proper piano therefore I thought I might try a digital one.

My budget is around or under £1000. Preferably I'd like one with a nice piano sound and with weighted keys - I don't want some fake, plastic feeling. I don't mind other sounds in it, like the organ or guitar or something else. I'd like one with built in speakers but with 2 headphone connections as well. Built in Midi would be great, but not a must - I haven't tried that before but reading about it made me curious. I'd like to connect it to my computer and maybe record what I'm playing as well.

I was looking at the Korg SP-250 but as I can see this one doesn't really have a good reputation on this forum. What do you recommend? What others should I try?

Many thanks!

Tam
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: I need a bit of help please to choose!

Post by markymark »

Have a look at the CLP320, 330 or 340. They get more and more expensive as you work up the range. These are Clavinova models from Yamaha which, for me, are the best alternative to a digital piano. I would encourage you to try these models out because they have some very slight modifications as you move up the range. The top of the range CLP380 has wooden keys which has the best action but, downside is, you pay over £2000 for it.

For realistic piano tone, I wouldn't point towards anyone except for Yamaha. I've personally always turned to them when piano feel and a realistic piano tone are most important.

As for the "plastic feel", I don't know if any digital piano is completely free from that criticism among acoustic players, but these do a great job at raising the expectations! Try them in your local retailer and post your feelings for others to read.
Omega003

Post by Omega003 »

Thanks a lot Markymark. I forgot to mention 1 more thing: I need to be able to 'put away' the piano when i'm not playing it, take off the stand and put away the keyboard and the stand as I don't have a lot of space.

I checked out those Yahamas on the internet and they look very nice but I cannot store them unfortunately.

With this criteria in mind have you got some other ideas please?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Right... that puts all furniture pianos out of the equation then.

You could look into a P140 which would be the best for portablility.
The CP300 - which I own - is great but is heavy!
If the OP140 is too expensive, look into a P70.

There is also the DGX range but they have a soft touch keyboard.
Omega003

Post by Omega003 »

Thanks for all the help. Today I went into a local retailer, they didn't have the P85 on display, so I couldn't try that, but they did have the P140 so I could have a go on that one. It felt really nice. I would've been curious about the difference between the 85 and the 140 though, because it's about £300 in price. Is the 140 really that 'much' better? I mean I've read the specification for both and I've seen the comparisons, but I don't know how it feels to play on the 85. Are they the same weighted keys? Is the piano sound the same as on the 140?

Also the lady in the shop informed me that the lifetime of the digital pianos is about 10 years, so I'm just thinking: do I want to spend over £800 on the 140 or I could just get the 85.

I know that it's a decision I have to make but if I could get some help with the questions above I'd really appreciate that.

Thanks
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The P140 has the GHE keyboard action which is slightly better than the GHS keyboard on the P85. Again, it would have been better for you to have been able to play them side by side in order to decide for yourself as to whether or not the difference is noticeable enough to spend the extra money. The P140 also uses something called "3-layer Dynamic Stereo Sampling" which makes it a more expressive instrument to play as it can contend with very soft to hard playing and reflect what you are trying to do within your performance. The 3 layer sample also gives the instrument a more realistic and mature sound but that is my opinion. Many people who try the P85 are happy with what they get.

As for the lifetime of a digital piano, 10 years is an underestimated average life span in my opinion. They can last twice as long as that and I have owned one (which is still going strong in my classroom!). Besides the lifespan, digital pianos do tend to get updated very quickly and what is good today will be mediocre four or five years down the line. Sometimes it is better to buy a better instrument so that it will last and keep up with what comes up in the future. Again, that depends on how long you want to use a digital. If you want to go acoustic down the line, for example, then saving money on a cheaper model may be more sensible.
Omega003

Post by Omega003 »

Well, I bought the P140, it just arrived today. I didn't have a chance to try the P85 but I don't mind now, I'm happy with the 140, I played on it this afternoon. It's great for what I need it: feels nice to play on it and I can put it away when I'm not playing so it doesn't take up space.

Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it!

P.S: But when I move into a bigger place I'll have to buy the Modus, I saw it in the shop and I just fell in love with it!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Great! I'm glad you're happy with your new instrument!

I think you would have liked the P-85 anyway, but the P-140 is a fuller instrument on the whole.

Now get writing a review for the forum!!

I'm looking for reviews to get our new forum up and running!