Which new digital piano?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

nathanfox

Which new digital piano?

Post by nathanfox »

Hello,

I am new here as you can probably tell but I looked on and it looked like a lot of you know what you are talking about when it comes to pianos so I thought I'd give it a shot and see what comes up.

I've been playing piano now for 10 years and have a real piano in my house but in my bedroom I have a Casio WK-3500. I really love the sound bank and usability of this keyboard but now that I am starting to become more serious in my playing, I really want to get myself something a bit nicer,

Now I do have a lot of requirements however;

- First of all it needs to be compact and easily movable - as it goes in front of a door that has our suitcases in! - Which does only need to be gotten at like 3 or 4 times a year...
- No high back – not much higher than the keys (if this makes any sense to you at all)
- Fully weighted keys (as near to real piano as possible)
- Good sound bank and piano sound (most important obviously)
- Preferably USB or if not then at least MIDI
- 76 or 88 keys (61 seems a bit small for me)
- All with a price of no more than around £1,500 (preferably sub-£1,000 - if this is at all possible)

I am willing to consider digital pianos that are higher in price as I am prepared to wait a while for a price to come down if there is a keyboard that meets the specification above perfectly.

Many thanks in advance,
Nathan J fox
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Which new digital piano?

Post by markymark »

- First of all it needs to be compact and easily movable
Most digital pianos are designed with mobility in mind. Even the heaviest being around 40-50kg roughly aren't all that big a deal to move.

- No high back – not much higher than the keys (if this makes any sense to you at all)
No digital pianos have high backs.

- Fully weighted keys (as near to real piano as possible)
Generally a standard feature of [mostly] all digital pianos.

- 76 or 88 keys (61 seems a bit small for me)
Again, most digital pianos have 88 keys as standard, even at entry level

- All with a price of no more than around £1,500 (preferably sub-£1,000 - if this is at all possible)
£1500 will get you a really good digital piano.

Okay somethat would be worth checking out and fit all of your original specs:

UNDER £1000
From Yamaha: YDP-140, YDP-160, CLP-320 (none of these have USB TO DEVICE/HOST)

OVER £1000
From Yamaha: CLP-330, 340, 370 (which pushes just over your limit), CVP-401
[i}From Roland:[/i] HP201 (Anything higher further up the range than this shoots into £1900 but sound quality much better! HP207 sounds brilliant!)