Question about the sounds of a digital piano

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

PumpkinPie

Question about the sounds of a digital piano

Post by PumpkinPie »

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in buying a keyboard for a while but have now decided that a digital piano may better suite my requirements.
I'm becoming more and more interested in classical style music (Chopin in particular) and am keen on the Yamaha DGX 630. In the description is states '503 high quality sounds and 160 styles'...does this mean that a digital piano can also emulate other sounds just like a keyboard? Could you possibly explain to me what this means and please give me an example of the sounds available?

Thanks for your help,
Steve.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

In the case of the DGX630, the keyboard does have 503 sounds or voices. The 160 styles are accompaniment styles. There are a lot of features on this keyboard. If you are interested in playing classical music, there are probably better keyboard actions than this one that you could chose from. However, if you want something to mess around with and just have fun, this one will probably be okay.

As for giving examples of voices, I have found the manual online. You can download it from this link and see all 503 if you want to!

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/result.php

You will need Adobe Reader to view the manual as its in PDF.
PumpkinPie

Post by PumpkinPie »

The shop that I saw this model in had it listed as a digital piano, is it actually a keyboard?

BTW, I actually don't have any experience playing piano/ keyboard. What I should have said is: I've been interested in learning to play and have read that the Yamaha DGX 630 is a good starting point. I don't need a world class instrument but have heard a couple of terrible sounding beginners keyboards, so I'm hoping this one is decent.

markymar, thank you for the PDF file :)
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I wouldn't say that the DGX is really a digital piano. Yamaha consider the DGX range to be a bridge between a keyboard and a digital piano. It is more refined than an average keyboard but not piano-enough to fit into the digital pianos category.

Definitely try the instrument before buying blindly online. Unless you have played something in the range before, you stand a good chance of ordering something that will be a disappointment to you. Someone posting here recently purchased a digital piano online having played a former model. He was disappointed with the sound so even having played something similar can be a let down too when you try buying an upgraded model without trying it.

Did you look at the YDP 140 or 160? If you are looking for something a little more mature than the DGX, then these may be worth looking into without spending much more. Consider also a Roland FP4.
PumpkinPie

Post by PumpkinPie »

I'm not absolutely sure what I want...the extra sounds of the Yamaha could possibly come in useful, it appealed to me because it seems to have lots of features. If I was to try it in the shop, I probably wouldn't know what sounded good although I definitely do not want the synthetic sound that comes with a cheap keyboard. I suppose the best thing would be to go into my local shop and ask for their advice.

Thanks for your advice so far :D
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The live piano sound of the DGX630 is okay but there are better ones out there. Compare it with the YDP models I recommended which would be mid-range. A top quality piano sample can be tested with a CLP340 series or higher. I'm warning you though, the CLP3XX range is much more expensive than what you are looking at but it will give you a concept of how the DGX compares with the top-of-the-range models.

Just be careful with dealers who try to demonstrate models as some of them can be sales motivated. In other words, you need to know what is appealing to your ears so that you are not persuaded to take a model that they want you to take. Do a bit of homework and research yourself before getting someone else's advice.