Yamaha p60 midi problems

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

drtom

Yamaha p60 midi problems

Post by drtom »

Hi guys, this is my first post, and I hope someone can help me!

I have a Yamaha p60 which I have been happily using for 4 years. Recently I need more sounds than the keyboard provides so have set up a whole load of VST instruments on my PC laptop, and bought a USB - Midi cable online. It is a small plastic box with midi in/out cables from one side and a usb cable on the other. The brand is not one I have found elsewhere on the internet, but have seen several others which are identical with other names. I guess it's a generic cable.

When I plug it into the laptop, it is recognised and installed by Windows XP, and the driver says it works properly. There is a red light on the midi box which lights up. When you plug it into the keyboard however, the yellow light lights up and flashes, but the green light does not. I have tried changing over the in/out ports on the keyboard, and have tried changing the midi channel on the keyboard, but there is no recognition on the computer that it recognises that the keyboard is attached and neither cubase, nor any of the independent VSTi programmes make any noises when I press the keys.

I don't know whether I'm doing something stupid wrong, or whether there is something wrong with either the keyboard, the usb lead or the computer. I don't think it's the computer, because it doesn't work on my girlfirend's computer either!

Can anyone help?!

Cheers,

Tom
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

A few points:
Make sure that the laptop does supply power via it's USB ports - try anotherUSB powered device ( I know it should, but I have come across some laptops where this didn't work)
The computer will see the interface but it will not recognise what's on the other end, i.e. that it's a P60. As long as it sees the interface, you should be OK.
Make sure that you have the MIDI IN & OUT ports on Cubase set to the USB port.

The P60 should respond to & transmit MIDI automatically (at least on channel 1) - try esnding a track with information on all 16 channels.
linolino1

Re: Yamaha p60 midi problems

Post by linolino1 »

Hi cwk101010--I am having the exact same issues with the Yamaha P60 and M-Audio MIDISport (Uno) and I was wondering if you ever got your issue resolved. I even went back to the store to replace the interface but I'm having the same problem--the MIDI Out LED is not lighting up at all even when I play the piano. I would really appreciate it if you could post or e-mail me with even a brief description of how things turned out. Thanks!