Clavinova CLP260

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

zaccety

Clavinova CLP260

Post by zaccety »

Hello,

I've been offered a Clavinova CLP260 for £350, apparently it had all the electronics refurbished about 4 years ago.

Does anyone know if this sounds like a reasonable price for one of these and if there are any drawbacks to this model.

Many thanks
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I'm assuming that this is the CLP260 from around 1990 and not from the predecessor of the current CLP3XX range? There was no CLP260 in the latest range which means that the seller is trying to sell you an 18 year old digital piano. I think 200GBP maybe more reasonable but then I'm tight! 350GBP is on the dear side and I think you should try and talk him down.

Digitals from the early 1990s will not be as good as what Yamaha produced around 2003. Sound sampling and keyboard action has evolved so much since then! Make sure you like the sound and feel before you pay anything! Take into consideration also the cosmetic state of the instrument!
zaccety

Clavinova CLP260

Post by zaccety »

Thanks for the thoughts, I had my suspicions this might be the case.

Can anyone recomend a good entry level keyboard that would compete with an ancient Clavinova CLP260?

Thanks
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

When I advise people about digital pianos there are a few things you need to clarify in your mind. For example how important, to you, are the following things:

1/ keyboard key response/action?
2/ sound quality - are the voices realistic/ good enough for you?
3/ your budget?
4/ realistic emulation of an acoustic piano?
5/ purpose of the instrument - are you a serious player or someone who likes to fiddle and play around with the instrument in your free time? Are you going to gig with the instrument or play at home?

Very often, the budget will have to help you decide. Maybe if you can give me some more information in those areas, I might be able to work out something that would be more suitable for you.