Radio programme about digital copy of harpsichord

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Radio programme about digital copy of harpsichord

Post by Grenache »

I don't know if you managed to hear "Click On" on Radio 4 yesterday, it had a fascinating item about making a digital copy of an antique harpsichord.

The news item is here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7617177.stm

and it will be on Listen Again till Monday 22nd Sept. The item starts about 13 minutes into the programme.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I've heard it all now! Who would want a digital harpsichord? :shock:
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Well I'd like a real one. I nearly bought one years ago but can't afford it now nor do I have the space. But I would settle for a digital one with the right sound.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

It has taken them so long to refine the digital piano. I shudder to think how long it will take them to get a quality digital harpsichord. Then again, the buying public interested in an authentically sounding digital harpsichord must be rather small too!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

This copy has been years in the making. I read about it in the local rag about 5 or 6 years ago. I'm originally from Arbroath and I had no idea that there was a 17th Century harpsichord in that house! There is also a Broadwood Repetition Grand, apparently similar to one that Chopin used in England. I'd LOVE to say it was THE one but I doubt it!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Well I suppose that digital pianos and synthesisors have been toying with harpsichord sounds for a while also, however unconvincingly. Do you know how long they have been in the making?