advise needed on buying a yamaha clavinova

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

ema

advise needed on buying a yamaha clavinova

Post by ema »

hi,
I have seen a yamaha clavinova being sold locally and am trying to do some research into how good they are and how much approx they are to buy. Ive always had a traditional piano so moving into the digital world is completely new to me.

The manual for it says that it is a CLP-240/230 freestanding. Does this mean that it is a 240 model or a 230 model as it seems it can only be one or the other?

Also has anybody bought one of these recently and knows how much they are worth. Ive been researching prices on the internet and am coming up with a massive price range so I have no idea how much its worth.

Any help much appreciated
thanks emma
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Personally, I've always found manuals to be a bit of a pain in the head. I'm not familar with manuals for those models however I have come across manuals that combine model in one manual in order to save on money, but will have extended sections where the better model with more features can be addressed. This could be what has happened here. The features for the CLP240 and CLP230 are similar but, as the model number will suggest, the CLP240 does have more features than the CLP230.

First of all you need to contact the seller and check for sure which model he actually has - CLP230 OR CLP240. You can expect some good deals coming up on these models as their successors - the CLP300 range - are coming into circulation. A CLP230 would have been priced around 1400GBP, give or take a hundred but I have seen them reduced to around 1000GBP BRAND NEW! If this is a second hand model and in very good cosmetic condition, I wouldn't be paying anything over 900GBP for it. The CLP240 was sitting around 1600GBP and as much as 1700GBP when it came out at the start but some retailers are selling these for as little as 1200GBP. I had a quick check online and came up with one online retailer trying to shift them for just over 1000GBP.

Basically, as you would do before buying a car, I'd encourage you to try the CLP230 or 240 and do a bit of research into pricing yourself. I've given you something to start with but even look at what local music stores are selling them for. This is a great time to find a CLP2XX bargain but it's also very easy to get caught out too if you haven't done your homework! Be an informed buyer for your own sake!
ema

Post by ema »

Thank you for your help. at least its given me some idea where to start. ill keep up the research :)
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

As I was saying to someone else on the forum a while back, some of the CLP3XX range can also be on promotion as an introductory price to help launch them. You may not find bargains like what you will get on the CLP2XX BUT, you may feel that the extra couple of hundred may be worth it when you hear the sound quality and get a feel for the instrument.

Whatever you do, don't buy blind! Try and at least have a go on the instruments before you buy them!