70 year old beginner

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Rosiedale

70 year old beginner

Post by Rosiedale »

I am just starting to learn to play piano and would appreciate advice on what to buy in the way of a digital piano. I have been recommended the clp 240 and the new ydp 140/ ydp 160. I do want something that my grandchildren could also use when they are learning but do not anticipate me reaching a high standard of playing. I would however like a piano which looks like a piano, not a keyboard on a stand.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The CLP240 is a mid-range digital piano within the Clavinova CLP200 range. You may have read already on this forum that the CLP300 range is about to be released anytime now which will offer you opportunities to get a few bargains. It's a sad fact of life in electronic equipment that as a new model is released onto the market, its predecessor devalues quickly and steadily thereafter.

In terms of keyboard action and piano sounds onboard, the CLP240 would be a good choice with its graded hammer action (level 3) keyboard which would give it a better keyboard action than the other two. I haven't tried that new YDP140 or 160 yet, but I have heard about an even better and expressive piano sample being included on the new YDP models. It really depends on what you want - modern and upgraded piano samples but with a slightly flimsy-looking case or the sturdier, more impressive appearance and feel of the CLP240, but with the current sound quality and keyboard action. The new CLP340 will have the newer breed of piano sound that is included in the newly released YDP140 and 160 models are sporting, though the CLP340 will likely have a superior sound to the YDP140 and 160.

Try these out in your local music store and see which you like. I've a feeling I'm giving you too much information to be useful...

Basically the CLP240 will have a better feel owing to the type of keyboard it has installed on it. The YDP140 and 160 will not feel as realistic, but will have a comparable (if not, possibly, a slightly better sound owing to the improvements made to the new sounds) than the CLP240. This why I'm recommending you try them out first.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Cost is often a factor as well for people thinking about any type of instrument, be it acoustic or digital.

The prices for the instruments you mention are roughly as follows:

YDP140 is currently around 450-500GBP,
YDP160 is sitting at 600-650GBP
CLP240 is roughly 1100GBP at best

Sometimes - as far as digital pianos go anyway - price can give you a good indication as to the better keyboard. I've heard it said that the YDP160 has a slightly higher spec than the new CLP320 in the same way that the former YDP151 had very similar specs to the current CLP220.

I think you really need to try them out. The YDP160 is not as readily available as the YDP140 at the moment. So if you can't wait, you only have to choose between the YDP140 and the CLP240.
Rosiedale

Thank you

Post by Rosiedale »

Thank you markymark for the advice. I am unable to judge the suitability of a piano as yet, having only had 8 lessons, but I do appreciate your imput. I'll see what I can find to try out.