Digital Piano for dyspraxic 8 year old

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

silverflora

Digital Piano for dyspraxic 8 year old

Post by silverflora »

My 8 year old dyspraxic daughter has just been told by her very patient violin teacher that, after 3 years of tuition and no progress, she should stop studying the violin.

My daughter is really upset by this - as she wants to continue learning to play music.

I was very surprised and delighted to see that she was very keen ( and surprisingly able!! ) to play the piano at school. She has the chance to try piano lessons there and I would like to buy a small piano for home - in case this really is something she can do.

I have looked at the Yamaha YDP-S30 which is just the rigt size for our home and the right price for my pocket.

Is it any good ( remembering she is only starting and may be useless)? I would really value your opinion.

Thank you
Silverflora
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Hi! As a class teacher, I have not encountered children in a learning environment or other, working through dispraxia so this is why I am going to ask the following question:

Do you think that auditory stimulation is going to be a factor. In other words, by varing the sound/voice of the instrument, do you think that your daughter would be more responsive? Is this why you are chosing a digital instrument over an acoustic?

If you want to chat about digitals, I can advise you more in the "Digital Pianos" forum. This section is really aimed at acoustics and their issues.
silverflora

Digital Piano - Is Yamaha YDP-S30 worth getting as a starter

Post by silverflora »

yes, its widely believed that auditory stimulation together with practice of motor skills are of particular benefit to dyspraxic children. My point about the YDP-s30 is that I need a cheap introductory instrument in case it is too hard for my daughter - (like the violin) and she gives up. Also, Yamaha have apparently got keys that feel like a piano - rather than a keyboard ( which we already have and which has too light a feel for clumsy fingers).

I don't want an acoustic piano for 2 reasons - size and cost. I have very limited room for a piano but would rather have something that resembles a piano with feet and a stool. Hence this model - but I haven't seen it or tried it out - and wondered whether anyone had?

Thank
Silverflora.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Okay, someone has saved you the leg work!

Basically, the YDP-S30 is quite a good option because it is so slimline and takes up less space. It has the GHS (graded hammer action) which replicates the hammer action of an acoustic and which is very useful and, for me anyway, also very important.

I posted something on the forum about this digital piano earlier this year. Click on the link to read:

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... php?t=5625

The other point to note is the option of having six voices to choose from which may provide some of the auditory stimulation we were discussing earlier.

Before you buy anything, given the circumstances and the high stimulation you daughter will need, it would be a very good idea for the two of you to go down to your local dealer and try the digital piano. Although they take up more room, try out the YDP-131 or P-70 for comparison. The P-70 is more portable if space is an issue nad has most of the same features as the YDP-S30, save for smaller polyphony but 10 voices.