Advice on buying a stage piano - please help!

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

henrydalton

Advice on buying a stage piano - please help!

Post by henrydalton »

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new to the board - have been playing on the same electric organ just under twenty years now, the last five of which have been in a band. I've just moved to London and don't have the room to take the organ with me, so I was looking to invest in a nice portable stage piano - and you guys seem to be very helpful in giving advice!

The main things that I'm looking for are a really good, realistic piano (preferably grand) sound with properly weighted keys, and also harpsichord and church organ voices (again, the more realistic these are the better). I'm ideally looking to spend around £700 (with some leeway on either side), so my budget isn't huge, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Really hope you can help! :lol:

Henry
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I think your in the wrong room, this is for real pianos but I would suggest Kawai MP4. Its got a good touch, sound and Muse and other bands use them. Its around £1k but you get what you pay for. Might be able to get a secondhand one, try ebay. The MP8 is better with wooden keys but more money.
henrydalton

Post by henrydalton »

Thanks for that - sorry about the room confusion, I've re-posted in the 'digital pianos' room :)
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I use a Yamaha P90 for stage productions. Together with the PA system it was just over a grand. Very good but flippin' heavy.
superquark
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by superquark »

Agreeing with Sussexpianos on both points - you will get many more answers if you post in the appropriate thread.

The MP4 is a very nice stage piano, and you will be able to pick one up alot cheaper than usual with a bit of luck, since the model is being replaced with the MP5 very soon (I think). Build quality is everything you would expect of a Japanese instrument, and it is packed with features. 3 year warranty too I think.

Echoing another post here, this is a very heavy instrument, because it is built to withstand sustained professional use. Almost all good stage pianos are very heavy.
henrydalton

Post by henrydalton »

Thanks to your advice I managed to find a mint MP4 on Ebay with sustain pedal, stand etc for £500 :) Bargain! Thanks again for all your help!
henrydalton

Post by henrydalton »

And yes, it is flippin' heavy! Beats the organ though! :D