Kawai or Yamaha? Pls halp.

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

akash99

Kawai or Yamaha? Pls halp.

Post by akash99 »

Hi there
I'm a beginner pianist and looking to buy a digital piano. Reviews about the key action on the Kawai models (ES-8, CA-67) basically models within the price range I'm considering, really have me hooked. But again, there are a lot, I mean A LOT of people that have had a Kawai going bad in a matter of months. Someone even said he had his DP changed four times in a single year. The other option for me would be a CLP-645. I'd be content with that too, but also feel like if the quality of a Kawai can be somehow assured, that would be a better option for the price. Of all said pianos, I've only really played the 645, and since I am pretty much a noob, I enjoy literally any piano I play. So, couldn't really tell a difference between the 645 or 635 when I was at the local Yamaha store checking out pianos, except the keys on the 645 felt nicer (due to wooden action perhaps). The Clavinovas were pretty marvelous tbh, and I'm sure I wouldn't regret buying them, since Yamahas are know for consistency. But something about the GF-II on the Kawai really appeals to me, since I'm looking for something I wouldn't grow out of for a long time. But again, the quality issues of the Kawai really bother me. Can anybody provide some insight into this, preferably someone that has played /owned a Kawai or Yamaha DP?
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Kawai or Yamaha? Pls halp.

Post by chrisw »

I have friends and acquaintances with Yamaha CLP 625 and 635. They are very happy with their choice. I have played the CLP 625 and was impressed by it.