digital pianos having a heavy feel

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

blackcats

digital pianos having a heavy feel

Post by blackcats »

First post here! Basically I'm looking for some advice on an issue I've noticed with digital pianos. I've had a casio celviano ap-33, a yamaha p35, a yamaha clp (can't remember the number had gh3 action) and a kawai cl36 most recently. So far I've noticed:

1: playing quick passages/fast or repetitions was only possible on the yamaha p35, the others felt far too heavy compared to an acoustic.

2: The touch would diminish significantly with headphones plugged in

3: This is hard to describe, but using software such as ivory etc improved the feel and made it possible to play fast and light e.g for long runs but still the keys feel sluggish in comparison to an acoustic

I'm now at the point where I can get to grips with pieces that are more challenging (for me!) such as schubert impromptu 2 and the revolutionary etude, and I'm looking to for recommendations for a digital that can cope with quick runs etc if anyone has experience? Been working on liszts vision etude also and feel these digital (except the p35 strangely) have been hindering progress. What digitals are recommended (if any!) for this type of piece or should they be kept for acoustics?

Thanks