Looking to buy a digital piano, advice needed

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

DrPips

Looking to buy a digital piano, advice needed

Post by DrPips »

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum, hoping someone here can give me some advice.

I’m looking to buy an electric piano as a Christmas present for my wife. None of us play but we’d like to. I also have a 4 year old son who I’d like to be exposed to as many instruments as possible (I play guitar and a variety of stringed instruments).

I don’t have a huge budget (as it may end up not being used much) but I would like it to look nice, a proper piece of furniture rather than a cheap looking keyboard as it will be on display. I’ve seen lots going on eBay, but the prices end up reaching almost the same price as a new one.

For my budget I could get a Casio Celviano AP 260, the Gear4Music own brand DP20 or a Hadley D10. All around £400-500. Does anyone have any experience of these pianos or should I take a risk on an eBay second hand one?

Thanks in advance,

Dom
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Looking to buy a digital piano, advice needed

Post by chrisw »

Hello Dom,

If I was buying an electronic piano my preference would be to buy new as there is a guarantee and if purchased from www it can be returned if it doesn't meet expectations. However it is always best to see and try one in a shop first if this possible.

I don't know anything about the electronic pianos you mention. Looking at adverts it seems that only the DP20 mentions weighted keys which hopefully would make the feel like an acoustic piano. If the intention is to learn piano an acoustic touch is important. The Casio seems to have lots of facilities so long as it has the all important weighted feel when the keys are depressed. On price the DP20 seems good value. I didn't look too carefully at the D10 as I have never heard of this make before.
PlayThatSong
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Looking to buy a digital piano, advice needed

Post by PlayThatSong »

I have also been considering buying a digital piano and thought I would share the guide I was using.

http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/keybo ... ying-guide

Hope this helps, even if slightly.